Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 17th, 2018, 4:27am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Welcome to Cornell New Home Communities
   All Cornell Home Owners
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Hawk
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hawk  (Read 486 times)
suburbanite
Outstanding Villager

Hawk
« on: Apr 21st, 2017, 5:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Or maybe falcon, I'm no bird expert but it was circling over homes west of Cornell Centre Blvd around Donald Sim. Near the park under construction, but a good half block into the area with homes.

Seemingly large enough (I'd say 2x or bit more the wingspan of a seagull) to be careful with our small cats or dogs.  

To be honest, I don't know what the prey weight of a bird like that would be, but I don't want to find out if my puffball dog qualifies... Grin
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2017, 5:40pm by suburbanite » IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

Re: Hawk
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24th, 2017, 2:54pm »

It was likely a Red-tailed Hawk.  You can see them perched along Reesor Rd.  They will not come into residential areas so no need to worry about pets.
IP Logged
Adam_W
Supreme Villager

Cornell Resident since June 1998

Re: Hawk
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25th, 2017, 11:04am »

Steve H, tell that to the morning dove that a Red Tailed Hawk caught in my back yard (townhouse in Cornell Village) and proceeded to pluck clean under my Pine tree.
It startled me when I came out of the garage.  Sitting under the tree about 10' away, grabbed the bleeding carcus and flew to the roof where it finished its lunch.

I don't think dogs are on the menu, there is probably easier prey out there.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »