Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 13th, 2018, 10:59pm
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Communities in Cornell
   Upper Cornell
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Aspen Ridge home. What do you think?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Aspen Ridge home. What do you think?  (Read 13882 times)
Roy_Hay
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Aspen Ridge home. What do you think?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20th, 2010, 9:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My wife and I sold our AR townhouse on Bur Oak Ave a couple of years ago, and while in town yesterday, decided to visit our old neighbourhood...hadn't been there in two years...

All I can say is: wow. And not in a good way, either...the wood trim on the majority of the homes, even ours, is split and peeling and we were shocked, when, as a previous poster said, some of the wood trim is rotting to the point of massive holes...(and why the homeowners are leaving this to get worse is beyond me!)

Never mind that some home owners are now painting the front and rear of their homes in "unique" colours and schemes...

And we loved all the knee high weeds that were still poking majestically through the snow...bet they looked even better in full bloom in July!

We're glad we sold when we did...can't imagine what these homes (and neighbourhood) are going to look like in another five years! Yikes.

C'mon people, have some pride, eh?

And funnier still, is that AR's sales office is at the end of the street, so you get to see their shoddy workmanship as you drive there! And no, I wouldn't touch Aspen Ridge with a 10-foot barge pole...
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2010, 9:42am by Roy_Hay » IP Logged
computerconsultant
Active Villager

CORNELL BUSINESS MACHINES (CBM)

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 27th, 2011, 9:24pm »

Not so sure about Aspenridge. It's like they don't care about their build. Amazing how some companies don't heir achievements.
IP Logged
buqing
Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:19pm »

DO NOT BUY FROM ASPEN RIDGE. HOUSE POORLY BUILT. AND ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:21pm by buqing » IP Logged
meowiejuie
Active Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: May 7th, 2012, 1:13pm »

I know that for every industries, there are definitely good or bad reviews and nothing is perfect. However, I do want to give my personal experience regarding AR home.  

To date, I have lived in 3 AR built homes and I am a pretty satisfied customer. I find their standard features (eg: Light Fixtures, Door Style, Door hardware and etc) are above par when comparing  to other builders. Many ppl who visit my house often ask if I had to pay for those as upgrades.

Another example is the separation walls between the semis. Alot of builders (eg: Beaverbrook) does not have a concrete block separation where as this is a standard for AR semis.

I've been to other houses in Cornell Rouge (Madison homes) and I find their workmanship & standard features aren't as great as AR homes.

Again, this is my personal experience from AR. Just wanted to give my 2 cents for those who's considering buying a home from this builder.
IP Logged
Adam_W
Supreme Villager

Cornell Resident since June 1998

« Reply #19 on: May 7th, 2012, 2:36pm »

The truth is that unless you purchase a custom home you are going to end up with a house that was built by trades with the lowest quotes to complete the work.  
I am the original owner of a Mattamy home in Cornell Village, over the last 14 years I have slowly upgraded many items in my house.  
I have yet to find a light with a ground wire hooked up properly (some do not even have boxes behind the light, just a wire thru the drywall)
I had my outside garden tap and drain plug directly above my hydro panel.
My dishwasher wiring was lying on the tile in a puddle of water hidden by the face plate, ground wire not hooked up. (lucky no one got electrocuted)
Windows are cheap and not shimmed properly, no expansion foam and poorly caulked.
All the pre-hung doors look like they were installed without a level.
Heating ducts cut through structural joists.
I could go on, but think Holmes Inspection worst case scenario.
This year I will spend almost $ 10,000 in repairs to the front brick, concrete and railings as Tarrion did not feel that 30 lb chunks of concrete falling from the house and crumbling bricks were anything to worry about. Nor were the building code violations I pointed out that lead to the problem in the first place of any concern.
Basically Mattamy is a cheap builder with limited customer service people who are experts in excuses.  Tarrion is completely useless also, they are only interested in protecting the builder, not the home owner.
My advise is to report anything wrong with your house to both the builder and Tarrion, this may cover you, but doing so will set you up if you need to sue either of them at a later date for poor, unwarranted workmanship.  That is the path I will be taking.
IP Logged
Mike_the_Inspector
Active Villager

Email

« Reply #20 on: May 10th, 2012, 6:27am »

If I may take a few minutes of your time and respond to your concerns.
-Electrical connections with ground wires not attached are a violation of the electrical safety code. (Lights with no boxes are found only in bathrooms as the base of the light fixture is considered the box) That said, I was in line in a Tim's when I noticed the gentleman ahead of me was from the ESA (Electrical Safety Authority) I asked him how do I know if my brand new house has been inspected...(knowing full well that it will have an ESA sticker on the panle) His answer? "We are supposed to inspect every 4th house, If I get to one in ten, it's a good day" Be very, very concerned people.
-Your new home warranty- You must play by their rules: File your defect list on time, demand proof from the builders' "customer service" person and from the warranty people that it 'meets code' by showing you the code. DO NOT TAKE THEIR WORD FOR IT! You must be vigilant, insist the the repair is done properly. Don't be afraid to take it further by getting the Ombudsmans' office involved. It is an exhausting process designed to make you give up, but keep this in mind: I did a resale inspection on a 4 year old home in Ajax, none of the bathroom exhaust fans had been hooked up to exhaust the warm, moist air to the outside. The mold on the underside of the roof deck was 1" thick. Guess who had to pay for the repair? (Hint: It wasn't the builder or the city inspector)
IP Logged

Mike
Certified Home Inspector
Westgate Home Inspections
905 767 9151
(125+ Tarion Warranty Inspections in Cornell)
uppercornellrez12
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #21 on: Aug 9th, 2012, 4:32pm »

They are horrible - what they are doing to homeowners is a CRIME!!! I've had leaky windows, roof falling apart, the list goes on...
How can AR get away with this? They have completely ignored me.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2012, 4:33pm by uppercornellrez12 » IP Logged
uppercorneller
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Aug 16th, 2012, 3:43pm »

How old is your house? Model?
IP Logged
meowiejuie
Active Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #23 on: Aug 21st, 2012, 11:15am »

Unsure if everyone will agree with this but when it comes to buying a house, it also depends on luck regardless of which builder it's from.

Shingles falling off is fairly common, have frds with the same problem during high wind/storms. These are houses from various builders.

Regardless whether it's Mattamy, AR, or Arista, it's the same contractor who builds the houses and also the same suppliers for parts such as windows.

I had problems with my 4 yr old house where there's broken seals on my windows. This is a bummer, but this is the window manufacturers fault. During that time, I see most builders uses the same manufacturer (Decora), so I'm pretty sure even if I have gotten a house with another builder, same thing would have happened. That's why crappy Decora has gone out of business.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2012, 11:16am by meowiejuie » IP Logged
luke927
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #24 on: Mar 23rd, 2013, 11:53am »

aspen ridge *****, everything falls apart, i m glad i sold before major problems occur
IP Logged
mixedfruit
Active Villager

« Reply #25 on: Mar 23rd, 2013, 3:09pm »

Wow. I must say I never had high hopes towards home builders and the industry but reading all of this makes me quite sad.  

It seems quite hit or miss in regards to purchasing a home from a builder. I live in an H&R townhouse in Grand Cornell and wonder what H&R's reputation is in regards to build quality and abiding by the code.  

I've recently renovated our kitchen and haven't come across anything negative in regards to electrical, plumbing, and insulation or structure. I guess I have to consider myself lucky, all I have been complaining about for the past few years is the cheap state of the baseboards and trim...
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2013, 3:09pm by mixedfruit » IP Logged

making grand cornell a better place since 2006
fock_aspen
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #26 on: Jun 29th, 2014, 1:50pm »

on Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:19pm, buqing wrote:
DO NOT BUY FROM ASPEN RIDGE. HOUSE POORLY BUILT. AND ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I wish I saw this post earlier...I'm too late  Angry
IP Logged
meowiejuie
Active Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #27 on: Jun 30th, 2014, 8:17am »

on Jun 29th, 2014, 1:50pm, fock_aspen wrote:

I wish I saw this post earlier...I'm too late Angry

Wanna share your experience?
IP Logged
buroak
Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #28 on: Jun 30th, 2014, 5:33pm »

I was the owner of a new Aspen Townhouse. (Buroak-north of 16th). The Garage leaked when it rained, i was under warranty. I called Aspen Ridge to report this.
They sent a guy out with a caulking gun. Month later it leaked again. I contacted Tarion. Aspen Ridge came personally to my house to advise me not to report it to Tarion. They will fix it themselves and advised if Tarion comes out and it doesn't leak , then Aspen Ridge is off the hook. Years later it kept leaking and Apen ridge kept ignoring me. Many Townhouse owners had the exact same experience. We all met over the years to try to get aspen ridge to help, as our Tarion warranty had expired. We even contacted our government office to see what we could do. Some of the group reported leaky windows and cold spots in their house. We were ignored and i suggest [b][/b]DO NOT BUY AN ASPEN RIDGE HOUSE.  Our group had approximately 15 house owners. All with major problems and complaints. I have since moved.
IP Logged
meowiejuie
Active Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #29 on: Jul 2nd, 2014, 8:11am »

on Jun 30th, 2014, 5:33pm, buroak wrote:
I was the owner of a new Aspen Townhouse. (Buroak-north of 16th). The Garage leaked when it rained, i was under warranty. I called Aspen Ridge to report this.
They sent a guy out with a caulking gun. Month later it leaked again. I contacted Tarion. Aspen Ridge came personally to my house to advise me not to report it to Tarion. They will fix it themselves and advised if Tarion comes out and it doesn't leak , then Aspen Ridge is off the hook. Years later it kept leaking and Apen ridge kept ignoring me. Many Townhouse owners had the exact same experience. We all met over the years to try to get aspen ridge to help, as our Tarion warranty had expired. We even contacted our government office to see what we could do. Some of the group reported leaky windows and cold spots in their house. We were ignored and i suggest [b][/b]DO NOT BUY AN ASPEN RIDGE HOUSE. Our group had approximately 15 house owners. All with major problems and complaints. I have since moved.

I've read about the leaking garages happening on phase 1 of those townhomes with the balcony on top. Sounds to me a design flaw and I agreed they should have fix the issues for all owners and handle it in a better way. As a previous owner with of a AR phase 2 semi and now phase 4 detached, I personally have no issues dealing with AR. So much has changed in terms of material vendors in recent phases (eg: Phase 1 and 2 Decora windows were a nightmare, all wood trims are now replaced with more durable vinyls). Buyer looking into those towhome resales, MAKE SURE THAT GARAGE issue is fixed. Buyer looking into the newest pre-contruction, I would say AR is a pretty good builder based on my personal experience.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »