Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 19th, 2018, 8:19am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Communities in Cornell
   Upper Cornell
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Option to not install toilet roll holder
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Option to not install toilet roll holder  (Read 1704 times)
Potatoe
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Option to not install toilet roll holder
« on: Nov 19th, 2013, 12:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, does anyone know the rules about not having standard toilet roll holder and towel rails installed.

Lets face it ceramic white is not the nicest and we plan to install chrome finish. Yet the design studios said they cannot leave it uninstalled?  Is that right?

Undecided
IP Logged
Yuppie101
Active Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Option to not install toilet roll holder
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2013, 1:09pm »

We didnt get a toilet roll holder installed in one of our washrooms, and didn't get towel holders either installed in 2 of our full bathrooms.

Huh

IP Logged
gioanniso
Outstanding Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19th, 2013, 1:50pm »

We bought a Madison Home last year.  We requested not to install any ceramic accessories on all bathroom/toilet.  In addition, inside the MBR en-suite, we requested to stop at Marble Jam level only for our showroom.  We installed frameless glass enclosure and wall tile ourselves after closing.

Most builders will accept not to install std accessories, unless it is a safety issue (i.e. floor tiles, carpeting has to be installed prior to closing).
on Nov 19th, 2013, 1:09pm, Yuppie101 wrote:
We didnt get a toilet roll holder installed in one of our washrooms, and didn't get towel holders either installed in 2 of our full bathrooms.

Huh

IP Logged
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2013, 10:09pm »

on Nov 19th, 2013, 12:31pm, Potatoe wrote:
Hi, does anyone know the rules about not having standard toilet roll holder and towel rails installed.

Lets face it ceramic white is not the nicest and we plan to install chrome finish. Yet the design studios said they cannot leave it uninstalled? Is that right?
 Undecided

It shouldn't be an issue for asking them not to install the standard fixtures. I did the same at the design Center without any issues and the builder just left them in the package in the basement.  
IP Logged
Blaze
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20th, 2013, 1:40am »

The Towel Rail, I'm not sure about. But the Toilet Paper Roll Holder... It's a Human Rights issue. Every one in your house (including visitors and guests) have this basic right to be able to wipe their...well, you know ...  
Now if you don't have it installed for some reason , let's say you were busy and postponed the installation, if that caused a problem regarding this human right thing, they could sue you and you in turn can turn around and claim that the Builder never installed it and transfer the law suit to the builder.  It may sound funny or unreal but as I said, it's a HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUE.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Cornell Resident since March 1999
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20th, 2013, 7:32am »

At my first place the builder had forgotten to install the fixtures and I notified them on the 30 day warranty.  
I didn't like them later and therefore second time around ensured they weren't installed.  

If you select to do something cosmetic the builder does not recommend they might ask you to sign a waiver that they are not responsible.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2013, 7:34am by amiyum » IP Logged
Cinderella
Supreme Villager

Perspective is Everything

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20th, 2013, 8:20am »

Potatoe, not installing a toilet paper holder is not a violation of the Ontario Building Code however a builder can choose to implement any rules they want that don't infringe on the OBC.  If their "rule" is they do not leave anything out or they won't "deliver only" any material, then that is their call to make.  Every builder is different.  On our last site we chose not to install or provide toilet paper holders, towel bars or soap dishes as we found the majority of customers were asking these not to be installed anyway.
IP Logged
Mike_the_Inspector
Active Villager

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20th, 2013, 5:40pm »

Potatoe,
  Toilet paper holders and towel rails are not a requirement of the OBC. (Note to Blaze: Best sense of humour on this forum but please stop giving Barbara Hall and the Ontario Human Rights Kangaroo Court any ideas-Please!)
 Gioanniso carpet and ceramic are NOT a safety issue or part of the Ontario Building Code. You were lied to by whomever told you that. I just finished a brand new home that had all first storey flooring deleted so the homeowners could have their own custom tile and hardwood installed throughout. Most new home builders do not like deleting/changing/customizing out of the realm of what they offer. Don't get too upset, I have heard 100's of stories just like yours.
  Typically the finishing subcontractors bid on a development based on number of homes. If that number drops (ie:home buyers opting out of the builders hardwood or tile) then the price per house goes up, meaning it affects the price per home charged by the subcontractor. You will be told any number of stories, I have heard them all...
IP Logged

Mike
Certified Home Inspector
Westgate Home Inspections
905 767 9151
(125+ Tarion Warranty Inspections in Cornell)
Potatoe
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28th, 2013, 12:35pm »

Hi All,  

Thanks so much for everyones advice and sharing your own experiences.  So I was one of the lucky ones...seems that if you are persistant and ask the question WHY IS THAT Huh?? they seem to then get a bit more straight with you.  I was also informed by someone else that alot of the design folks are just lazy and dont want to do the paper work for it.

Anyhow, yay no ceramic toilet accesories will be installed in my new home. meaning no patch and paint will be required after the fact!  Smiley

Thanks again to everyone!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »