Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 10:56am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   Community Health and Safety Forum
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Speed Limit on 16th Ave
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Speed Limit on 16th Ave  (Read 8579 times)
kookoo4cornell
Outstanding Villager

Speed Limit on 16th Ave
« on: Sep 21st, 2011, 10:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Apparently we will be seeing a new speed limit on 16th avenue between Bayview and Markham Road.  It is currently set at 70km/h but will be reduced to 60km/h.  Now before people rip my head off for being opposed to this change I want to stress that I believe the safety of our community is imperative.

With that said, I am in complete disagreement with this change.  I feel it is strictly a cash grab by the municipality.  I do not believe that "safety" had anything to do with this change.  Like most of the readers of this site, I travel 16th on a regular basis.  I have never found the speed on 16th to be a problem.  I found 70 to be an appropriate speed for that road.  In fact I find most drivers on it maintain very close to the limit if not below it slightly.  Just an honest opinion.  In the morning or afternoon it is rarely possible to even achieve the limit.

Pedestrian traffic on 16th is set well back from the road and is also relatively minimal considering the amount of homes along it.  Most homes do not have a frontal facing to it.  There seem to be ample traffic lights along it to curb speed as it is.  As a person who has a personal ban to the 407,(I don't like having to take out a mortgage to use it) I find having 16th a useful avenue to get across Markham as highway 7 can be a nightmare.  I rarely see accidents on 16th unless people are trying to beat lights.  

Just wondering if I'm alone on this and how others see this.  Did you see speed as a problem on 16th?  Is the same change in line for Major Mac?  I think the Municipality realizes it is nearly impossible to drive 60km/h on that road.  It is not designed for that speed.  I find it as bad as the cash grab on Highway 7 between 9th Line and Markham Rd.  Where the speed limit drops to 50 after being 70 and the police sit right there knowing most driver would have to hit the brakes to achieve that speed.  I just see it as a set up.  I don't want my Markham to be like that but I know it is the "norm" these days.
IP Logged
Ian_Wayne
Supreme Villager

Re: Speed Limit on 16th Ave
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21st, 2011, 11:07am »

Hasn't the speed limit always been 60 in our community?

I know it's 70 west of Markham Road, but I thought everything east was 60?
IP Logged
kookoo4cornell
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #2 on: Sep 21st, 2011, 11:10am »

It has been 70 between Markham and Bayview.  Will be reduced to 60.
IP Logged
Cinderella
Supreme Villager

Perspective is Everything

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21st, 2011, 11:43am »

I would be thrilled if somebody did at least 60, on 16th Avenue, especially while driving in the left hand lane.  I drive it every day and without exaggerating, will find at least three or four drivers, in the left lane, going a maximum of 50.  Dropping the legal speed down from 70 to 60 is ridiculous.  The people causing accidents (and again, I drive this route to and from work every day and accidents are rare) are most likely the ones driving so ridiculously slowly they are causing the accidents by people trying to pass them.
IP Logged
Joyce
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #4 on: Sep 21st, 2011, 2:48pm »

I also dislike the dropping of the speed limit on 16th.
IP Logged
Shaun_C
Supreme Villager

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10th, 2011, 2:06am »

Does anyone know when the change went into place??! I noticed that by at least Saturday October 8th, all the speed limit signs (between Markham Rd and Woodbine) have been updated and lowered to 60km/h!  Angry

grrrrrrrr....

shaun
IP Logged
MarkusWinkler
Supreme Villager

Choose a Realtor® who also LIVES IN Cornell!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10th, 2011, 12:24pm »

I imagine when the new development is completed at Kennedy and 16th (where the farm is), it really won't matter what the speed limit is, and we'll all be going 40 down there during the best of times.

I'll see you all on Major Mackenzie.
IP Logged

www.MarkusWinkler.ca
Cell: 416-312-1041
Office: 905-471-2000
Email: mwinkler@sutton.com
simOn
Supreme Villager

« Reply #7 on: Oct 11th, 2011, 5:56am »

on Oct 10th, 2011, 12:24pm, MarkusWinkler wrote:
I imagine when the new development is completed at Kennedy and 16th (where the farm is), it really won't matter what the speed limit is, and we'll all be going 40 down there during the best of times.

I'll see you all on Major Mackenzie.

Markus is right.. with all those development on the north east corner of Kennedy / 16, we're going to be pretty screwed either way. See you all on Major Mack is right.....
IP Logged

Cornell Villager!
kris
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Oct 11th, 2011, 8:09am »

Another cash grab for the Town of Markham and lower productivity for the citizen of Markham who has to spend hours stuck in traffic. Also, maintaining the status of having the highest traffic ticket issued in the whole of York Region. The York Region Council is unrealistic with the speed. Are they living in the dark ages using horse drawn power to determine the speed limit?
IP Logged
kookoo4cornell
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15th, 2013, 10:16am »

Am I missing the logic?  60kmph on HWY 7 between 9th Line and Donald Cousens (4 lanes).........yet 70 kmph on Donald Cousens between Major Mac and 9th Line (2 lanes).  Who makes these decisions?
IP Logged
Shaun_C
Supreme Villager

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15th, 2013, 10:29am »

on Oct 15th, 2013, 10:16am, kookoo4cornell wrote:
Am I missing the logic?  60kmph on HWY 7 between 9th Line and Donald Cousens (4 lanes).........yet 70 kmph on Donald Cousens between Major Mac and 9th Line (2 lanes).  Who makes these decisions?  

kookoo,
I can't find the link right now but you should see what they have planned on hwy 7 between Don Cousens/9th line.  i think they have like 5-7 traffic lights between there.  RIDICULOUS.

shaun
IP Logged
Blaze
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #11 on: Oct 15th, 2013, 2:23pm »

This reduction in the speed limit is fantastic. I see a lot of yahoos behind the wheel... I'd say 7 or 8 out of 10 and oh yes, let me guess ... It's not you and it's not me!   Trust me they are the people of your community no regards for safety of others ... Never think horrible things can happen to you... Until it does really happen... I saw with my own eyes an accident nearby. A kid's leg was jammed right back to the back of his shoulder sticking out where it shouldn't have been   And yes  one of these yahoos behind the wheel caused it
So  next time you whine about speed reduction  try to picture one of your loved ones in that position I just described !   And yes don't be sniffing my bumper when I'm driving home driving at the speed limit!!! Literally inches away.  7 or 8 out of 10 of you drivers!
Respectfully yours,
Blaze
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2013, 2:20am by Blaze » IP Logged

Cornell Resident since March 1999
Shaun_C
Supreme Villager

« Reply #12 on: Oct 15th, 2013, 2:31pm »

Blaze,

I'd have no problem with the speed reductions if everyone followed simple traffic rules like paying attention to the road in front of you, or to leave the left lane for passing, etc.  But... they don't.  So reduced speed is just compounding the traffic problems across Markham.  

Been here 30+ yrs and it's worse than ever (combo of slow speeds and bad driving skills).

shaun
IP Logged
Adam_W
Supreme Villager

Cornell Resident since June 1998

« Reply #13 on: Oct 15th, 2013, 9:19pm »

Just an idea:
You could all car-pool.
Less traffic = Less congestion.
Good for the environment too.
IP Logged
kookoo4cornell
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #14 on: Oct 15th, 2013, 9:39pm »

I found a very interesting mini documentary and it stresses points that I would say are very valid regarding speed limits and the validity of their effect on safety.  it does not say that they are not necessary and it reiterates that many times.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-best-takedown-of-the-speed-kills-myth-yo u-1302382244

Its a bit long but I would say it is very well done and researched with effort.  I ended up watching the whole thing.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »