Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 23rd, 2017, 4:05am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   Community Health and Safety Forum
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Speed Limit on 16th Ave
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Speed Limit on 16th Ave  (Read 8455 times)
Shaun_C
Supreme Villager

Re: Speed Limit on 16th Ave
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15th, 2013, 11:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 15th, 2013, 9:39pm, kookoo4cornell wrote:
I found a very interesting mini documentary and it stresses points that I would say are very valid regarding speed limits and the validity of their effect on safety. it does not say that they are not necessary and it reiterates that many times.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-best-takedown-of-the-speed-kills-myth-yo u-1302382244

Its a bit long but I would say it is very well done and researched with effort. I ended up watching the whole thing.

Thanks for the post kookoo!  And Adam, totally agree with the carpooling.  I'm glad they're building that middle bus lane to improve transit + biking for the city.  Might get people to think about other options to get from point A to B  

shaun
IP Logged
Blaze
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #16 on: Oct 16th, 2013, 2:51am »

I do understand the point you made about safety if drivers followed the rules of the road and such, but that's another topic of discussion, we are talking about the effects of speed on personal injuries when they do happen, accidents do happen even to good drivers, different reasons too many to list, like children in the car distracting the driver... but the point is the SPEED! I guess you may have taken physics at some point in your education...
We are talking massive amount of weight (Tons of Metal) and when you put that in motion... every 10 kilometers of speed...oh man! makes the force of the impact and damage or injury much more severe.. make a big difference from bumping your head to the side window and getting just bruised up, or smashing it with your head having facial/ skull fractures and a long road of pain and suffering to recovery if ever you walk out alive.
simple rule: the more speed you set an object in motion the greater the damage.
just try it yourself, drive your car into your garage at 5km/h without stopping and walk out look at the damage...then back up...and this time drive 15km/h and, get back to me on the damage!!!! Roll Eyes
so don't buy all this documentary or non-scientific research on speed not being a factor in personal injury or property damage.

P.S. Scientific Fact (Ontario Medical officer) :A pedestrian hit by a car travelling 50 km/hr has an 85 per cent chance of dying. When the car is travelling at 30 km/hr the likelihood of death is reduced to just five per cent.
 Just an example, and be honest: if and only if you were to get hit by a car would you like the car to be travelling at 30 or 50 km/h ?

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2013, 4:39am by Blaze » IP Logged

Cornell Resident since March 1999
Shaun_C
Supreme Villager

« Reply #17 on: Oct 16th, 2013, 9:55am »

That's true Blaze.  but if we only talk about physics then maybe we should not allow large objects (like cars) on the road in the first place.  Or maybe we should reduce the speed limit everywhere (like on the 400 highways).  Variables need to be taken into consideration... it's not just physics.

shaun
IP Logged
SW20_MR2
Supreme Villager

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: Oct 16th, 2013, 9:30pm »

Yes, speed kills, but stupidity is even worse.  I would take my chances with Michael Schumacher going 90km/h on 16th Ave vs 90% of the drivers going 70km/h.  All of this crap that the government is doing (eg. putting traffic lights everywhere, reducing the speed limit, etc) is a band aid for a broken licensing system.  If we want to fix the issue, make it 10x harder to get your license.  Only those people that are truly capable of handling a car should be able to drive, and I'm sorry to say it, but many people on the road are not.  We need to test for things like ability to pull emergency manoevers, poor weather driving, ability to judge other cars' speeds properly, etc.  A simple road test does nothing.
IP Logged
Blaze
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #19 on: Oct 18th, 2013, 2:00am »

Forgive me for my ignorance...but...who is Michael shoemaker? Huh
IP Logged

Cornell Resident since March 1999
SW20_MR2
Supreme Villager

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #20 on: Oct 18th, 2013, 9:20pm »

He was the top driver on the F1 racing circuit for many years.
IP Logged
kookoo4cornell
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #21 on: Dec 29th, 2013, 8:29pm »

As many may have noticed already, the police have set up money grabs along Hwy 7 at BurOak where the speed limit is a ridiculous 60 kph.  I have also now noticed them on Cornell Centre Blvd at Rustle Woods Ave.  Be aware and keep your money in your wallets!
IP Logged
Wrestling
Supreme Villager

Who's drinking tea?

« Reply #22 on: Jan 1st, 2014, 1:00pm »

agreed with the Bur Oak speed traps -- there is no reason why that stretch is 60 KPH except for inconvenience.
IP Logged
kookoo4cornell
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #23 on: Jan 26th, 2014, 10:05am »

Heads up today!!!  Trap is set just south of Hwy 7 on 9th line.  Be aware heading out today!
IP Logged
kookoo4cornell
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #24 on: Jun 28th, 2014, 9:00am »

Another light at Black Creek and 16thHuh??  I saw the traffic counter strips down.  Oh the humanity!!!!!  Just ban the car and get it over with please.
IP Logged
Joyce
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #25 on: Jun 29th, 2014, 12:08pm »

The traffic counter strips were down on Cornell Rouge Blvd too.  No lights going there though.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »