Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 10:56am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   Community Health and Safety Forum
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Red Female Fox in the neighbourhood
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Red Female Fox in the neighbourhood  (Read 848 times)
aaa
Outstanding Villager

LOVE CORNELL REGION

Red Female Fox in the neighbourhood
« on: Jun 24th, 2014, 9:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HI All,

All the residents in Cornell and Greensborough area, there is a red fox seen close to Sam Chapman school area. Please be extra careful and don't leave your kid unattended.

Be safe
IP Logged
Adam_W
Supreme Villager

Cornell Resident since June 1998

Re: Red Female Fox in the neighbourhood
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24th, 2014, 10:13am »

Fox attacks on humans are extremely rare, almost unheard of.
However you may want to consider your small pets safety (cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, any dog that you carry or have a carry purse for.)
These are all healthy snacks for a fox.

Also remember, the wildlife was here before we were.
Pay them some respect, don't feed them, just enjoy watching them from a distance. We have moved into their home, not the other way around.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2014, 10:13am by Adam_W » IP Logged
indigo
Outstanding Villager

Re: Red Female Fox in the neighbourhood
« Reply #2 on: Oct 6th, 2014, 4:52pm »

I agree with Adam.

There are also raccoons, skunks, rabbits, mice, etc - All animals I've encountered here, walking only a couple of feet from me, and they have never bothered me as I respect them.

There are also coyotes but I've only had one sighting; I mostly hear them.

As with fox, coyote attacks on humans are very rare but have happened in cases where the person runs and falls - Running is the behaviour of prey and is an invitation to a predatory animal.

Most animals are scared of humans so a simple shoo sound will scare them away. If you see a coyote and you are scared, you can stand your ground, appear as big as you can, and make loud noises and they will likely run.  

If we are talking large predatory animals such as wolves, bears and cougars, it is better to slowly back away but remain facing them.

I respect all living creatures so I stand still and watch as they go about their business, glad for the opportunity to witness the little nature we still have left in this world.  

When I saw a coyote here, he disappeared in a flash.  

Animals for the most part, do not like humans (for good reason) so you really do not need to worry except for your pets or children.

The real problems begin when people feed wild animals, putting their lives at risk.  

There was a beautiful healthy coywolf in Toronto that I felt blessed to see on Bloor heading into Cabbagetown late one night.

I was very sad to see on the news it was shot the next day. Sad

It was going towards cars when they'd come by it which is behaviour totally out of character for this animal - So obviously someone had been feeding it from their car.

What a tragic and needless loss of life.

A beautiful and brief video on how important wildlife is and that may change your views - How Wolves Change Rivers:

http://youtu.be/ysa5OBhXz-Q

I higly recommend it.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2014, 4:54pm by indigo » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »