Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 23rd, 2017, 4:04am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   Community Health and Safety Forum
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   At Least Slow Down Coming out of the Laneways
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: At Least Slow Down Coming out of the Laneways  (Read 611 times)
Ian_Wayne
Supreme Villager

At Least Slow Down Coming out of the Laneways
« on: Oct 8th, 2014, 11:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This week I was walking my 4 year old daughter to school at Black Walnut when she ran ahead of me.  

Luckily I have been teaching her that the lane ways are roads and she needs to stop and check for traffic because she stopped just as some woman came speeding out of the lane way and never even slowed down for the stop sign to enter the roadway.
IP Logged
suburbanite
Outstanding Villager

Re: At Least Slow Down Coming out of the Laneways
« Reply #1 on: Oct 8th, 2014, 5:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've noticed a few Cornell gaps in what would normally be standard driving practice.

With construction, a road that didn't used to be operational can suddenly be opened, and have traffic coming where there hasn't previously been. Never assume what has been clear for months is clear now.

Also, had a stop sign go missing due to paving/grading/construction...had to call city. Was only a 2-way stop so traffic going across would not expect a car to come into their path. Thankfully they came next day.

For that matter, the white lines that are an added attention getter at stop signs can often be missing in new areas. With the many 2 way stops in Cornell, we all need to watch.  

To be honest, you can travel along a road and come to intersections where it seems like it would be an all way stop, and it's not. Then the next intersection on same road, it is. But the characteristics of the 2 intersections seem the same (road size, relative sightlines,# of lanes).  

I'm the annoying guy in front of you who brakes at all these cross streets, even when I have right of way (just a bit...not enough to truly impede flow) Was t-boned a long time ago, I don't want it to happen again because I felt I had right of way.  

And yes, as original post said, lets not forget the laneways are roads in and out. Coming in don't cut corners, kids often jump out from the garages. Cars back out of garages. It's all just a matter of remembering with each week, this is less a construction zone (where we all take liberties) and more a populated area with hazards everywhere.

(16 yr old me is somewhere rolling his eyes at this geezer advice... Grin)
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »