Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 23rd, 2017, 4:07am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   Community Health and Safety Forum
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Coyotes and Us- recent sighting at Swan Lake!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Coyotes and Us- recent sighting at Swan Lake!  (Read 530 times)
MichelleWard5
Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Coyotes and Us- recent sighting at Swan Lake!
« on: Apr 20th, 2015, 10:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Past weekend (April 17/18/19) a coyote was seen along the north shore of Swan Lake- please be aware, please do not approach.
Coyotes are known to be in the Markham/ Unionville area as far south as Steeles Avenue. The coyotes are a natural part of the eco-system and are not seen as a threat.
Like with all wildlife, residents should keep their distance and the wildlife will do the same. Wildlife that is aggressive or appear sick and ill-tempered are a concern and should be reported. The City has resources to address these situations.
Staff at the City have alerted the City ' s animal services provider (OSPCA) and they will monitor area
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2015, 10:37am by MichelleWard5 » IP Logged
indigo
Outstanding Villager

Re: Coyotes and Us- recent sighting at Swan Lake!
« Reply #1 on: May 7th, 2015, 12:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I see coyotes or coywolves - more often in Toronto whereas in Markham I tend to hear them more than see them.

They are not dangerous and they are not really a risk unless you feed them or let your pet out alone at night and/or leave small children unattended.

To put it into perspective, there have been just 2 fatalities from coyotes ever on record whereas 30 people die every year from dog attacks, and 5 million people are bitten by dogs every year in the US.

**Please do not feed coyotes or coywolves.**

I see this often with wildlife and people think they are being kind but in turn this will probably end in the animal being put down as it interferes with their inborn fear of humans.

This is what happened with a beautiful healthy coywolf I saw in Toronto - a day or two later it had to be shot because it was approaching cars - animals would never naturally approach a car, so obviously someone had been feeding it from their car.

This is an important video I recommend all watch as it indicates the importance of wolves (and coyotes) to our ecosystem:

https://youtu.be/ysa5OBhXz-Q

Coyotes and coywolves, like wolves, are self-balancing so they never become over abundant (which is more than we can say for humans or other species).

When I see an animal flourishing in nature I am so thankful for the gift and am glad to see them doing so well.

If you are interested, you can learn all about coywolves here:

https://youtu.be/rM9Hsc0wxMM
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »