Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 17th, 2017, 3:29am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   Community Health and Safety Forum
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Cornell Community Centre - HFM mini outbreak?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cornell Community Centre - HFM mini outbreak?  (Read 624 times)
TT2011
Villager

Email

Cornell Community Centre - HFM mini outbreak?
« on: Jul 13th, 2015, 12:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dropped my child off at the Cornell Community Centre this morning.  In speaking with a parent I learned that there was an incident last week involving a child in one the summer camp programs.  

From my understanding early last week a child and two staff members contracted hand, foot and mouth disease (a virus which is highly contagious with a long incubation period).  More info on the link below.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/hfm.html

Directly following the incident it seems the play areas and equipment was cleaned and sanitized however given that the nature of how this virus can be trasnmitted there likely will continue to be some risk of further exposure particularly given the vast area of the centre.

In lieu of this incident, I would hope that the Community Centre has implemented new health and safety procedures for the kids.  From previous experience and observation, hand sanitizer seems to be the preferred method versus encouraging frequent trips to the washroom to wash their hands with soap and water.  I realize this can be difficult given the camp sizes and number of children -  however given last weeks incident it would seem justified.

While I'm not a health professional, it appears this type of infection is commonly found in childcare centers, preschools, and other places where kids are in close quarters. So with summer camps in full swing these incidents can potentially lead to larger outbreaks within our community if not properly managed.  

As with other viruses, the initial symptoms for Hand, Foot and Mouth disease are flu like and can be difficult to assess.  For the sake of our children if your child doesn't seem like him/herself and/or has a fever or other symptoms please care for them at home until told otherwise from the doctor.  Bringing them to highly populated and confined areas is not recommended.  

Lastly continue encouraging proper hygiene and hand washing as this is the best protection.

If anyone has any further insight into this incident or experience with HFM please share your thoughts as from my initial research HFM sounds very unpleasant.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »