Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 17th, 2017, 5:28am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   General Interest Discussions
   Sports and Recreation
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Youth Ice Hockey Leagues - House
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Youth Ice Hockey Leagues - House  (Read 430 times)
TT2011
Villager

Email

Youth Ice Hockey Leagues - House
« on: Aug 1st, 2016, 1:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We're looking to enrol our son into ice hockey this upcoming season.  Based on initial research, I've narrowed it down to either the Unionville Minor Hockey Association or Markham Waxers.  I've heard non-specific feedback on both house leagues, both good and bad.

Can anyone share some personal experiences which they may had with these leagues and general feedback on the hockey experience (eg. level of play, ice-time, game times, etc.)

From what I can tell off their websites, the Novice division at Unionville Minor Hockey Association had later morning start times (atleast for games, not sure about practices).  As for Markham Waxers, game time are 7am  or 8am with practices mid morning.

Any insights would be much appreciated as it would certainly help with the decision process.

Cheers.
IP Logged
sweetdee
Active Villager

Re: Youth Ice Hockey Leagues - House
« Reply #1 on: Aug 3rd, 2016, 6:16pm »

My son played his first year in Unionville and then we moved him to Markham because the arenas were closer. My son seemed to enjoy the Markham league more because his friends from school played in the league and were on his team or on the ice at the same time. We also enrolled him in Canskate lessons with the Markham Skating Club. He enjoyed practices more because he could do all the drills.
IP Logged
TT2011
Villager

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 5th, 2016, 9:20am »

Thanks for the feedback sweetdee.  Would you say the overall play for the kids and how things are managed between the leagues were about the same level?
IP Logged
sweetdee
Active Villager

« Reply #3 on: Aug 6th, 2016, 12:28pm »

We liked Markham better. Of course, we didn't stay with Unionville long and things could have changed since then. I would try the league whose locations and schedule are most convenient  for you. If you think that your child needs more skill development, there are hockey camps that work on that. Coaches in both leagues have to take courses, but just like teachers, some are better instructors than others. I hope that your child has as much fun playing as mine did. It made it worth all the cold, early mornings.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »