Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 10:52am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.  (Read 17193 times)
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.
« on: Sep 17th, 2006, 12:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Markham Interchurch Committee for Affordable Housing (MICAH) will be presenting a proposal for 120 unit affordable apartments.  These will be located on the United Church lands facing Hwy 7.  These lands are part of a 20 acre parcel of land that will be developed by Kylemore Homes.  One of the partners of Kylemore, built and owns the Angus Glen Golf and Country Club.  Kylemore was then formed to develop the Angus Glen lands.

http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2006/Development%20 Services-Economic%20Development/September%2019/markham%20interchurch.PDF

We will know by March of next year whether this proposal was approved.  If given the green light they will have less than 3 years to build and fill the facility in order to get government funding.  So this could get built rather quickly.
IP Logged
mbds
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

In Cornell, and.....loving it!

Re: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 8:53am »

Some concern here, but as long as the buildings are of good quality, again, are architecturally compatible with Cornell, and very well designed, pedestrian & transit friendly etc., they should be okay. No ghettos please.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #2 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 10:17am »

In the past Kylemore homes has built mainly larger and/or custom built homes.  It will be interesting to see what they have planned for the affordable apartments as well as the other 500 mid to high density homes.  It is also interesting to note that Ballantry had a similar background before they started building in Cornell.
IP Logged
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 10:40am »

Does anyone know of any other rental affordable housing units in Markham and how well they are maintained?  While I do support the concepts of affordable housing, Iím a bit concern with the number of rental units in the community. Iíve not been impressed with the maintenance of Toronto Metro Housing and other affordable housing buildings. Iím hoping Markham and MICAH has higher standards for the rental apartments. I hate to see buildings with sheets hanging from the windows, damaged multicolored window coverings and messy balconies. Maybe Iím allowing my mind to be carried away too much, but thatís what Iíve seen in affordable housing in T.O.
IP Logged
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 10:53am »

on Sep 18th, 2006, 10:19am, AspenRidgeBuyer wrote:
I am also concerned with this proposed development but it has nothing to do with architectural design or ghetto formation.

The memo provided by SteveH says that MICAH intends "to provide up to 20 rental apartment units to persons with mental illness or dual diagnosis..."

Now I personally had no idea what "dual diagnosis" was, so I went to the website for the Canadian Mental Health Association and was a little perturbed by what I read. †Apparently "in Canada, dual diagnosis usually refers to a person with a mental illness and a co-occurring developmental disability...but in the United States, and sometimes in Canada, dual diagnosis refers to concurrent disorders". †So I read a little more and found that "a concurrent disorder combines both a mental health problem and a substance use problem. Someone with major depression who also abuses alcohol has a concurrent disorder, for example, as does a person with schizophrenia who abuses cannabis. It's uncertain how many people have concurrent disorders, but it is known that people with mental illnesses have higher rates of addiction than people in the general population".

So needless to say I have a major problem with this proposed development if they are using the American definition of "dual diagnosis". †I truly understand that these people need an affordable place to live, but I am questioning the wisdom of housing them in an area that in a few years is going to be full of young families with young children. †I definitely don't want my kids living in area that is openly welcoming people with mental disorders that are known to abuse alcohol or drugs.

Thanks for posting the findings of your research. Suddenly I felt like Iím losing the cozy feeling I had about living in Cornell.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #5 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 11:04am »

Some of these questions would be best answered by the town and MICAH.  MICAH currently operates Cedarcrest Manor (affordable Seniors apartments) and a 26 unit townhouse project on Robinson street.  Micah will also be using outside agencies to help operate the facility.  MICAH would need to answer the questions regarding who would fill the units and what type of support they would receive.  

As with any new development the town will need to have a public meeting so any unanswered questions can be dealt with then.
IP Logged
Glen River
Supreme Villager

Long Live Cornell

« Reply #6 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 12:22pm »

maybe we should address this to the CRPA.

CRPA, Hello!
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 2:52pm »

The CRPA is aware of MICAH project.
IP Logged
SW20_MR2
Supreme Villager

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 3:20pm »

I have never liked and never will like the idea of affordable housing in affluent mid- and high-income areas.  I hate to sound elitist, but there is a reason why I paid the money I did to live in this type of area.  

One of my concerns when choosing an area was the look of the neighbourhood once construction had completed.  I want to see nice gardens, beautifully-kept house exteriors, etc.  In low-income housing areas, these types of things are an afterthought - and for good reason since they have other things on their mind.  

I'm all for community housing, but they need to put them in the right area.  In this case, they may be affecting our land values.  I hate to say it, but I certainly would not pay the same price for a home that is located right beside the housing project.
IP Logged
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #9 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 4:30pm »

Can we do anything as residents to oppose this? Although I do feel a bit bad for saying this as these people deserve to live in a decent home.

There are concerns about the safety of our kids and property investment etc, which every community will have. However Cornell already has the hospital which brings in lots of emergency vehicles, there is a proposed airport close by and now this. Anything else?? Itís too much for Cornell, how about the areas around HWY 48 and Major Mackenzie.  
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2006, 8:08pm by amiyum » IP Logged
SW20_MR2
Supreme Villager

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 4:49pm »

I know that there is some community housing at Woodbine and 16th (north of 16th on the east side, close to all the 3000+ sq ft homes). †If anyone lives or know anyone that lives in the area, I'd be interested in whether or not the community had an impact on the community and/or property values. †

I used to deliver food for our restaurant when I was younger, and I went to the housing project a few times. †It wasn't horrible like Regent Park or anything, but it certainly wasn't nice by my standards or when compared to the nice homes beside.

Steve, please keep us updated on this. Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2006, 4:50pm by SW20_MR2 » IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 6:00pm »

I just want to clarify that this meeting with the town is to reserve water/sewage allocation in case MICAH decides to present a formal proposal.  MICAH will be competing with other proposals across York Region (including potentially other in Markham) for the 370 units that can be built.  If it gets through all the stage and is one of the projects chosen, then MICAH could present a formal proposal by June of next year.  This is when more details will become available and we can provide more input.  I mentioned this now so that we can start discussing some of our concerns and hopefully respect each others position (even ones we don't agree with Smiley ).

The CRPA board is a cross section of our community so all of the views presented here have been discussed in the past.  AspenRidgeBuyer brought up a good point about some of the recent details of this proposal.  This will now also need to be addressed as well.

My personal opinion is that as long as MICAH and the developer are open to discuss the details of their plans and work with our community then we should be able to work through these issues.  I honestly don't think it is as bad as it seems.  

I lived with my parents in a new community in Newmarket when the Ontario Government decided to build affordable apartments on our street (20 houses down).  There was a lot uproar as a luxury condo was suppose to be built there.  All homes on our street back onto a golf course (including the empty lot).  The rational was that they wanted low-income mixed in with higher income housing.  After more than 10 years I can say that this apartment building has had no impact on my parents property value.  I am also not aware of any problems related to safety, crime, etc.  I did visit a friend's parents who lived in one of the units at that time and I found it to be very quiet.

My concerns relate to how it can integrated into the community and whether they plan on any more units for Cornell.  I think problems can arise if too many units are in one area and/or they don't feel part of the community.  I don't think it will affect property values in Cornell except maybe for a few homes right around the building.  But these homes won't be built until after the apartments are built so they should have different expectations.  I will need to understand more about the type of mental patients they will be accepting as this could become a concern.
IP Logged
Genie
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 10:29pm »

I won't be very subtle in my feelings about this MICAH proposal.  I am definitely opposed to it.  I did not buy in this area to be subjected to these types of housing units.  You can count on me to support any community objections.  Let's hope it never makes it to the formal proposal stage and a more powerful group proposes something more acceptable.  NIMBY!!
IP Logged
ahmike
Village Moderator
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 11:07pm »

It was my understanding that there is a development freeze in this area for at least 4 years due to lack of sewage. †I believe this is why Ballantry and Mattamy will not be releasing their next phases until then. †

Steve, do you know why this affordable housing project is exempt from this freeze?
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2006, 8:19am by ahmike » IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #14 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 11:30am »

Yes, you are correct that there is a lack of sewage allocation for new developments.  But a few months ago the town was presented a report from the planning department where they rejigged some of the numbers to squeeze more sewage allocation out of our infrastucture.  This allowed them to free up an additional 2400 units of sewage allocation for all of Markham.  In the following link you can see that 450 was allocation to Cornell with 150 for high density.

http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2006/Development%20 Services-Economic%20Development/June%2020/Servicing%20Allocation.htm

My guess is that H&R will try to grab the 150 high density units by presenting a draft plan next year.  Micah  would need 100 unit which would leave 200 units still up for grab.  Here is the criteria the town would use in determining what plans get approved.

Criteria used for distribution of current assignment

Staff have again reviewed the guidelines for prioritizing allocation adopted by Council on December 10, 2002 and have utilized them as a basis for determining recommended servicing allocation.  The guidelines were based on the following criteria:

* Completion of key transportation infrastructure (e.g. Markham By-pass, Box Grove By-pass, Victoria Square By-pass, major collector roads, etc.);
    * Implementation of Markham Centre;
    * Infill development and redevelopment along key transit corridors;
    * Affordable housing projects;
    * Provision of development with public benefits (e.g. community facilities and public infrastructure); and
    * Provision of development that supports the Townís smart growth and new urbanism initiatives, and that demonstrates exceptional urban design.

In addition Council endorsed additional considerations in the February 2005 report which included:

* Existing and future commitments for delivery of infrastructure;
    * Completion of development blocks (filling in the holes) and giving communities a ďfinishedĒ look;
    * Ability to utilize allocation in a reasonable timeframe; and
    * Infill development ready to proceed.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2006, 11:31am by SteveH » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »