Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 21st, 2017, 12:43am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.  (Read 16567 times)
SW20_MR2
Supreme Villager

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell
« Reply #105 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Not necessarily.  Downtown, it would have zero effect.  In the suburbs, it could have a huge effect.  Like I said earlier, there could be a crack house and a brothel on each side of your house, but people would still pony up the money for your house because you're downtown.  There are few new developments downtown.  That is, you can't just go one street over and buy a brand new house.  Up here, you can.  If someone sees the exact same house as your's with a crack house and brothel on each side, they'd just go 5 minutes down the street and buy a new one.

Also, regarding the MICAH proposal, IMO, York Region is not fit for affordable housing.  Regardless of whether the VIVA terminal is built or not, public transit in York is crap.  It takes way too long to get anywhere by bus.  People would spend 2-3 hours commuting per day within the town itself.

on Dec 2nd, 2007, 6:14pm, thinkingofcornell wrote:

Thanks...you made my point for me. That was the gist of my post. Housing price has nothing to do with the presence of subsidized or assisted housing and everything to do with location, local amenities, transportation,etc.!!!!

IP Logged
Deebr
New Villager

« Reply #106 on: Dec 4th, 2008, 6:51pm »

I was chairman of a gala put on by St. Andrew's United Church in 2006 to raise money for the MICAH project.  It  is a respectable group of Markham churches and they do good work. The Water Street Senior Centre is one example.  We raised $20,000 at our event.  I have not been in touch with the project since then but last I heard it was no longer going to happen in Cornell and will move ahead in the area of Kennedy and 14th.    Either way you can trust the group to do the right thing and pull together a very good development.
IP Logged
Ian_Wayne
Supreme Villager

« Reply #107 on: Dec 6th, 2008, 10:26am »

It's time for governments to realize that affordable housing projects are a bad idea and stopped altogether.

The existing housing should be sold and the proceeds put in a trust account for the sole purpose of subsidizing rents for those who need it.

The people who need the help should be told the maximum rent available for their situation and told to find their own place to live. Government would then subsidize that rent with a cheque paid directly to the landlord.

I grew up in government housing and never underdstood why people think its a good idea. It keeps the poor grouped together so they can't see the better side of life, helps creat gangs and keeps people thinking it is hopeless to try anything since they see everyone else is in the same situation.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »