Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 17th, 2017, 3:45am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.  (Read 16859 times)
mbds
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

In Cornell, and.....loving it!

Re: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 11:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My concern, other that what I mentioned above, would be along the lines of Steveh's....namely the number of units for this project. Far better to have many pockets of a small # of units dispersed through all of Markham that a large # of units all in one place.
IP Logged
Irishman
Supreme Villager

Tempt me.

« Reply #16 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 1:31pm »

Hi all,

Just finished reading up on some of this and I also have to apose this.    

I was born and raised in this type of environment. Some of you probably know of it.  Regant Park.
Big time ghetto and crime haven.  I am so happy the city has decided to tear it down.  

I just finished buying a place on Walkerville Rd.
I really don't want to be subjected to this type of area again.  Nothing good will come out of this.   That's a fact!    

Irishman

IP Logged
Irishman
Supreme Villager

Tempt me.

« Reply #17 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 1:39pm »

Sorry but I have to mention this:

The only good thing about growing up in this type of area is that it makes a person more aware of his/her surroundings(street wise).

I do believe there are some good people in those area's.   But I still have to appose it because the the fact of the matter is....the bad outway the good, from my perspective.

IP Logged
Genie
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #18 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 6:04pm »

Cornell is absolutely a beautful community.  Let's not let this project get off the ground to possibly ruin what we have.  Remember this is an election year for the municipalities so we can let our local politicians know that we oppose this project and start a petition early.  Who knows what kind of persons the government will allow to be housed in these units.  They could even be convicted child molesters like the Parkdale community in Toronto experienced a few years ago.  Do we even want the slightest possibility of this happening?   Let's not let this slip through the cracks and come to fruition.  CRPA stay on top of this and let us know what is happening.
IP Logged
cornellbachelor
New Villager

« Reply #19 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 4:52pm »

on Sep 18th, 2006, 3:20pm, SW20_MR2 wrote:
I have never liked and never will like the idea of affordable housing in affluent mid- and high-income areas. I hate to sound elitist, but there is a reason why I paid the money I did to live in this type of area.

SW20_MR2 = NIMBY (not in my backyard)

Hate to burst your bubble but where do you think we live?  Rosedale?  At best Cornell is a mid income area.  Compared to the better parts of Toronto, Cornell is "affordable housing".  Large houses are dirt cheap here.  It's all relative.    

I don't want to live beside mental patients but I don't mind having lower income neighbours.  Cornell has large houses, townhouses, semis, coach houses and condos all near each other.  The diversity in Cornell enriches our social fabric.  Regent Park, St. Jamestown, Jane & Finch, Kingston Rd = mistakes of past urban planning policies.  Perhaps a gated community best suits you.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #20 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 5:37pm »

Cornellbachelor,

Everyone is allowed to give their opinion on this project but just because someone else does not have the same opinion does not mean they are not welcome in Cornell.

Let's keep this discussion from getting personal.

Thanks
Steve
IP Logged
RainSoul
Active Villager

« Reply #21 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 7:36pm »

I am for the housing under certain things being in place.  Cornell is a family area.  I think if these homes are being given to people with children who are needing to get back on their feet, that is something I am OK with.  I think it's different if they might put people with drug problems, or sexual preditors in the homes.  I would hope that the town of Markham would take the area into account for who would be well received by their neighbors and who would not.  I don't want to create any environment which is not open to any person regardless of race, class, etc.  However obviously this area atracts certain types of families and I hope that would not change.
IP Logged
SW20_MR2
Supreme Villager

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 8:58pm »

Yep, you're darn right I don't want it in my backyard, and judging by the responses in this thread, many others don't as well.

Never did I suggest that we live in an area like Rosedale, but I'd consider Markham as a whole (except for a few pockets) to be mid- to upper-class. The average house price in Cornell is at least $350-400k. There aren't many low-income people who can afford houses in the area.

I already mentioned the reasons I bought in this area, and at the time of purchase, and most of my requirements were met. Having subsidized housing was certainly not one of them.

on Sep 24th, 2006, 4:52pm, cornellbachelor wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble but where do you think we live? Rosedale? At best Cornell is a mid income area. Compared to the better parts of Toronto, Cornell is "affordable housing". Large houses are dirt cheap here. It's all relative.

« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2006, 7:30am by SW20_MR2 » IP Logged
Genie
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #23 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 12:09am »

on Sep 24th, 2006, 4:52pm, cornellbachelor wrote:

Cornell has large houses, townhouses, semis, coach houses and condos all near each other.  The diversity in Cornell enriches our social fabric.  

Well Cornellbachelor as you said above, we've got all the diversity already, so we don't need this government controlled low rental units in the mix.  I certainly don't want some bureaucrat deciding who gets to live in these subsidized housing units in our community.  Even if they tell us that  no objectionalble people will be housed in these units, who's to  say that they will stick to their word.  Once the units are there mistakes can be made as we know they have in the past.  I certainly don't  want to gamble with our communities safety with possible convicted felons residing in these units.  Maybe when you have young children of your own to be worried about you'll feel differently about this situation.  And yes, as I said in a previous post definitely not in my backyard!
IP Logged
Thomelle
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #24 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 1:23am »

SteveH,

I am suprised that you see cornellbachelor's comments as a barb or personal attack.  I think that his comments add a refreshing view on the issue of affordable housing.  His comments are founded in both research and reality.  
I think we do ourselves an injustice when we don't allow all views to be heard and given some contemplation.  

If I were an outsider looking in on this board, maybe even someone from a lower income and socioeconomic background, looking at the comments that were posted  could come across as elitist as no other views are mentioned and one could assume that an entire community is clearly against the integration of mixed-incomes into the community.  Personally, I can say that this not the case and I would like to thank cornellbachelor for brooching a new viewpoint.  

Mixed-income and affordable housing is different from "government" or for lack of an available comparison "the Toronto MTHC housing" that we are all so familiar with.  And cornellbachelor is right, we have seen the mistakes that this has caused and a general feeling that some parts of Toronto are not places that we want to be - this is unfortunate as it further isolates the community.

Cornell is standing on a platform of New Urbanism - a new start to the ways communities and housing is created in our society.  Mixed-income and affordable housing interspersed in our community echos this sentiment in terms of our desire to be more progressive in the way we do our urban planning.  I hope that as community meetings are held to review the plans, we will have an opportunity for many more viewpoints and opinions.

Cheers,
Thomelle

on Sep 24th, 2006, 5:37pm, SteveH wrote:
Cornellbachelor,

Everyone is allowed to give their opinion on this project but just because someone else does not have the same opinion does not mean they are not welcome in Cornell.

Let's keep this discussion from getting personal.

Thanks
Steve

IP Logged
Genie
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #25 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 4:00am »

CRPA would you please respond to this thread with any information that you have about this MICAH proposal.  I would also like to know if the CRPA have any plans to register opposition on behalf of the Cornell community.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #26 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 9:05am »

Thomelle,

I agree with you completely.  Cornell needs to invite all types of people, but I have also seen some poor implementations from the government in the past.  So I do have a number of questions on it's implementation.

My main concern with Cornellbachelors post was not his general opinion but his last sentence which unfortunately would not help in having an open discussion on this topic.  I hope Cornellbachelor continues to post on this topic as everyone's opinion counts.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #27 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 9:52am »

on Sep 25th, 2006, 12:09am, Genie wrote:

Well Cornellbachelor as you said above, we've got all the diversity already, so we don't need this government controlled low rental units in the mix.  I certainly don't want some bureaucrat deciding who gets to live in these subsidized housing units in our community.  Even if they tell us that  no objectionalble people will be housed in these units, who's to  say that they will stick to their word.  Once the units are there mistakes can be made as we know they have in the past.  I certainly don't  want to gamble with our communities safety with possible convicted felons residing in these units.  Maybe when you have young children of your own to be worried about you'll feel differently about this situation.  And yes, as I said in a previous post definitely not in my backyard!

Genie,

I think we are far from being a diverse community although I do believe the planning for Cornell will encourage us to become more diverse.  Due to the law of averages we already have former convicts in Cornell.  I would suspect that the rest of Cornell (eventually 16,000 homes) will have far more people convicted of all types of crimes than in the 120 units proposed.  Most of these people are just trying to make it to the next month and hoping for a better future.  They are trying to avoid criminal activities.

I have 3 small kids of my own and we have always instilled the concept that there are many less fortunate people than us.  An affordable housing project does not automatically mean we will have a safety issue.  I know of many communities with detached homes that have had a lot of problems with marijuana growing and other illegal activities.  Cornell can also fall in this trap if we don't get to know our neighbours.  It is the integration and socializing of our community that will have the biggest impact on safety, not the segregation of people in need.

We moved to Cornell not because of the pretty homes, although we do like ours.  We chose cornell due to the New Urbanism concept which includes people of mixed income.  The concept of Cornell simply will not work unless we have renters and people of lower income (Gov. subsidized or not) integrated into our neighbourhood.  For various reasons it has been shown that people who rent and those who have a lower income are higher user of transit and use the services of local businesses more often.  Cornell needs to be a mixed integrated community to succeed otherwise we will become just another housing project in the burbs.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #28 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 10:09am »

on Sep 25th, 2006, 4:00am, Genie wrote:
CRPA would you please respond to this thread with any information that you have about this MICAH proposal.  I would also like to know if the CRPA have any plans to register opposition on behalf of the Cornell community.

Genie,

We will not know until next spring if MICAH will get funding.  MICAH will not present an offical plan (which we can respond to) until then.

I also want to clarify that this proposal has been known since January of 2004 when it was mentioned at the CRPA's AGM.  Here was our general stance at that time which I don't believe has changed since.

http://www.mycornell.ca/news/downloads/May04CRPA.pdf#search=%22affordabl e%20site%3Amycornell.ca%22

IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #29 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 12:13pm »

York Region has a resource manual that explains the supports and services in York Region for persons with Dual diagnosis.

http://www.yssn.ca/images/clientupload/DDManual.pdf#search=%22york%20dua l%20diagnosis%22

If you go to page 4/5 of this document you can read an overview of York Region's definition.  Here is a synopsis.

"The term dual diagnosis refers to an individual who has an intellectual disability and mental health needs....They experience the same range of severe and prolonged mental health difficulties including depression, mood disorder and schizophrenia as the general population, but at much higher rates."

If anyone is concerned about what dual diagnosis is then I would encourage you to read the 4th and 5th pages of the document.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »