Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 21st, 2017, 12:41am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.  (Read 16562 times)
Genie
Outstanding Villager

Re: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell
« Reply #30 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 4:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First of all, thanks Steve for the information regarding the initial  reaction of the CRPA that was in the May 2004 CRPA newsletter.  It shed some more light on the subject.  I was not aware that this proposal went back to 2004 and only became aware because of your recent post on this forum.

I disagree with some of your points made in regards to my post as follows:

"Most of these people are just trying to make it to the next month and hoping for a better future.  They are trying to avoid criminal activities"

How can you state that they are trying to avoid criminal activities when you don't know who will be renting these units?  A large percentage could be desperate trying to make it to the next month and could be very well involved in criminial activities.

"I know of many communities with detached homes that have had a lot of problems with marijuana growing and other illegal activities"

These are usually houses that are rented or leased for the sole purpose of the criminal activity.  Very seldom are the perps the actual home owners.  

"The concept of Cornell simply will not work unless we have renters and people of lower income (Gov. subsidized or not) integrated into our neighbourhood"

We have plenty of renters in Cornell already.  Almost all of the coach houses are occupied by renters.  Some of the rent charged for these coach house apartments with all utilities included could certainly be deemed as affordable housing.  Many town homes have renters and some semis and detached houses also.  

I still feel we do not need this MICAH proposal in Cornell and I will be following the development closely.  I feel somewhat better knowing that at least the CRPA is also watching it.  Lets hope to make it easier for us that they don't get the required funding and it just goes away.
IP Logged
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #31 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 9:02pm »

on Sep 25th, 2006, 10:09am, SteveH wrote:

Genie,

We will not know until next spring if MICAH will get funding.  MICAH will not present an offical plan (which we can respond to) until then.

I also want to clarify that this proposal has been known since January of 2004 when it was mentioned at the CRPA's AGM.  Here was our general stance at that time which I don't believe has changed since.

http://www.mycornell.ca/news/downloads/May04CRPA.pdf#search=%22affordabl e%20site%3Amycornell.ca%22

In regards to the CRPA original stance on the MICAH proposal, and other Cornell issues, how does the CRPA decides on the position they would take regarding an issue?  

Do the board members make the decision regarding the stance the CRPA will take for Cornell?  
Is it based on a vote by the CRPA members?
If neither of the above; how are the concerns and true position of the residents represented.

I do understand the CRPA board members are volunteers; however I am just curious to know how these decisions are made.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2006, 9:05pm by amiyum » IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #32 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 4:35pm »

on Sep 25th, 2006, 4:20pm, Genie wrote:
How can you state that they are trying to avoid criminal activities when you don't know who will be renting these units?  A large percentage could be desperate trying to make it to the next month and could be very well involved in criminial activities.

All I am trying to say is that neither of us know who will be moving into these units and conversly we can't conclude that they will be bad for our neighbourhood.  

These are usually houses that are rented or leased for the sole purpose of the criminal activity.  Very seldom are the perps the actual home owners.

But should we not allow rental homes or coach houses in our neighbourhood since rentals are more succeptible to criminal activity?  Where do we stop?  In the past the burbs have been scared of any type of rentals.  Slowly this is starting to change.  Affordable housing is just a lower cost rental.

We have plenty of renters in Cornell already.  Almost all of the coach houses are occupied by renters.  Some of the rent charged for these coach house apartments with all utilities included could certainly be deemed as affordable housing.  Many town homes have renters and some semis and detached houses also.

I guess our definitions of mixed housing are much different.  I would suspect more than 90% of the homes in Cornell (including coach houses) are owned by the occupant.  I still think we have a ways to go to become a truely mixed neighbourhood.

I will be interesting to see how this develops.  I don't expect to hear much more about this until next spring.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #33 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 4:41pm »

on Sep 25th, 2006, 9:02pm, amiyum wrote:

In regards to the CRPA original stance on the MICAH proposal, and other Cornell issues, how does the CRPA decides on the position they would take regarding an issue?  

Do the board members make the decision regarding the stance the CRPA will take for Cornell?  
Is it based on a vote by the CRPA members?
If neither of the above; how are the concerns and true position of the residents represented.

I do understand the CRPA board members are volunteers; however I am just curious to know how these decisions are made.

As with any issue the board as a whole, with input from the community, decides what position the CRPA should take.

IP Logged
mbds
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

In Cornell, and.....loving it!

« Reply #34 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 2:17pm »

I must admit that I'm a little taken aback at some of the outright contempt toward this proposal shown by some of the posters. Should we be concerned? Absolutely, but our concerns should be along the lines of those voiced by the CRPA. Namely, if approved, that this development adhere to the principles of New Urbanism and that, while we don't mind doing our fair share with respect to afforable housing, Cornell should not be a dumping ground for affordable housing while other communities get off the hook. The fact that this is a church-based outfit that applies for government funding, rather than a government-run social housing project should alleviate some concerns. I think if you take a look at MICAH's Robinson St. project, you'd be hard-pressed to tell it's so-called low income housing. Also, with Kylemore involved, I don't think they'd risk not being able to sell the rest of their 20 acre development by doing a sub-standard job for Micah. If this project goes ahead, as long as our concerns are addressed, these people/families should be welcomed into our community and encouraged to take part in all the activities that make Cornell such a great place to reside.
BTW, regarding rentals......most of the coach houses etc. I've seen for rent go for almost as much as our mortgage payments on a 1700 sq.ft. detached house....not exactly low-income rentals.
IP Logged
Cinderella
Supreme Villager

Perspective is Everything

« Reply #35 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 3:07pm »

There appears to be a number of different concerns with this new project coming on board.  One is whether the architecture of Cornell is maintained but that was pretty much changed with the Beaverbrook semis fronting onto 9th line, with garages attched.  So much for architecture.  A second concern is the mixing of "low" or "affordable" housing in Cornell.  Define "affordable".  Personally, I have worked my butt off to be able to buy a home in a nice neighbourhood and if I am labelled an elitist because I want to maintain this standard of living, then so be it.  I have worked for it, I have earned it.  If people have a problem with that attitude, then may I suggest affordable boating for all?  After all, why should some people be able to afford yachts when I can't?  The third, and I feel most serious concern with the new project, is the mix of owners that will be afforded the units.  This is a neighbourhood that was marketed and sold as being safe and a great place to raise children.  Darn right I have concerns about unpredictable people with possible psychological problems.  Wouldn't any parent?  If having a mix in neighbourhoods is the right thing to do, then all neighbourhoods should have a percentage of affordable housing.  Funny how I can't recall where it is on the Bridlepath, Rosedale or Forest Hill.
IP Logged
CornellBeauty
Supreme Villager

Beauty is Relative

« Reply #36 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 3:29pm »

Why did they built Cornell first as a model community?  Why did they just not built affordable housing first instead of Cornell.  It feels like Cornell is no longer a model community, with all the changes, neglect (it seems), with all the planned
ameniites built somewhere else.
    Maybe they just built the airport first, then affordable housing and forget about Cornell.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #37 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 4:23pm »

I think we need to keep this in perspective.  We are talking about 120 units out of 16,000 homes planned for Cornell.  Of this 20 units will be designated for people with mental disease, 12 designated for victims of domestic abuse, 6 designated for people with physical disabilities and the remaining people will come from MICAH's wait list.  Families make up the largest group on MICAH's list which why 3/4 of the remaining units have 2-4 bedrooms.  Most of these units will be rented at 80% of the going rate.  I agree with mbds that we should welcome these people if/when they arrive.
IP Logged
Genie
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #38 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 4:46pm »

Good post Cinderella, not just because we are in agreement on our position regarding this proposal, but you make an excellent point on having worked so hard to get here.  I just don't get it with the few supporters of this proposal, what is so great about having a bunch of low income people in our neighbourhood?  Especially ones with mental problems. What makes them so desireable over successful mid or high income earners?  As SteveH stated the unfortunate low income people are just trying to make it to the next month.  Doesn't this usually cause desperation?  What are the results of desperation?  Resentment of the successful neighbours and their children?  Again, I disagree with SteveH stating that 90% of coach houses are owned by the occupants. Definitely not, that high percentage are renters occupying the coach houses and not the owners of the property. Lets inform our local politicians running for municipal election in November that we oppose this proposal before the formalities begin next spring. Either call them or send them an email.  You can find their numbers and email addresses here  
http://www.markham.ca/markham/channels/contactus/contactus.htm#Departmen ts
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #39 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 5:29pm »

I am finding that this thread is just turning into a discussion for/against affordable housing in general instead of recognizing the need for affordable housing and trying to determine how it could work in our neighbourhood based on the proposal from MICAH.

I do understand where some of you are coming from as I grew up in a family that really pushed work ethic and if someone was asking for help then they were deemed lazy and providing any type of handout would only encourage them to continue asking for more.  And if the government was going to do this then they should do it as far away from our house as possible because this would invite more crime into my neighbourhood, lower house prices, etc.

Unfortunately the government listened to my parent's generation and we ended up with the very large low-income housing projects that invited the type of crime and property value decreases that worry many people.  I think there is a better way to help these people and it has been shown to work in the past.  I have seen it work near my parent's place in Newmarket and I think it can work here in Cornell as well, if done right.  Segregating or ignoring people in need will only make the problem worse and then you end up with the well-off in gated communities and others in run down housing in "poor" neighbourhoods.  This is the exact opposite of what New Urbanism encourages.  

This will be my last comments on why I think we should be supporting affordable housing in our neighbourhoods.  I didn't want this thread to focus on whether affordable housing is needed in communities.  I would like this thread to get back to the details of MICAH's proposal and what works or doesn't work for our community.

« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2006, 5:36pm by SteveH » IP Logged
villagemaker2000
Supreme Villager

It's Nice Living in Cornell

« Reply #40 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 8:20am »

I have no problem with affordable housing as long as the number alloted for mentally sick are less
than abused women, etc.  But it seems like the mentally sick are given more allocations.  It is scary.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #41 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 9:36am »

I would like to better understand the types of mental diseases of people that could be placed in this facility.  Participation House (near the hospital) was built in 1973 and supports people with various levels of mental disease and I have not heard of any problems from this group in our community.  I believe they have 48 units and I have seem many of them walk through our neighbourhood.

In the York Region manual for Dual Diagnosis, that I provided in a previous post, it mentions that studies have shown that about 0.3% of the population have a dual diagnosis mental illness.  Most of these people are apparently not properly diagnosed and are struggling to coexist in all of our neighbourhoods.  In the case of Cornell's proposed population of 42,000 residents this would translate to about 120 residents.  Setting aside 20 units for the worse of these cases and providing the proper support systems all near an expanding hospital should be a positive for our community.  Maybe Micah's selection process for these 20 units could give preferential treatment to Cornell Residents.

Maybe more units need to support abused women.    Or maybe the units for abused women are more short-term vs the mental units so that the actual number of abused women supported is greater than it seems.  I am certainly not an expert in this field.  Maybe it would be a good idea if MICAH and whoever else is involved provide a presentation showing their selection process and how they decided to split up the units into the different groups.

IP Logged
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #42 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 1:32pm »

on Sep 27th, 2006, 3:29pm, CornellBeauty wrote:
    Why did they built Cornell first as a model community?  Why did they just not built affordable housing first instead of Cornell.  It feels like Cornell is no longer a model community, with all the changes, neglect (it seems), with all the planned
ameniites built somewhere else.
    Maybe they just built the airport first, then affordable housing and forget about Cornell.

Interesting …..

I also wondered what the home sales would be like if all the major infrastructure were in place first or if they were on the builders map showing the proposed plans for the community – Such as widened of  the  roads, proposed airport, housing with 20 mental illness individuals, gas stations and other proposed buildings.

There is a definite need for some of the infrastructure, but how many people would buy a new home in front of a gas station, under an aircraft path, beside a home with multiple individuals having mental illness etc?  

I am NOT against affordable housing, but concern about the people living there, and how well the property will be managed and maintained.  

There are people with mental illness scattered all around, however a concentration in a specific area is something else.  

A building where almost 17% of it’s occupants having mental illness is substantial to me

A reduction to 5 - 10 units would be much more tolerable. Depending on the degree of mental illness, my preference would be to have none.

IP Logged
td2005
Active Villager

Hello Cornell!

« Reply #43 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 1:45pm »

I would have second thoughts if I knew about these proposals especially the MICAH Affordable Housing.  

I wonder if the residents of Grand Cornell knew this since it's close to their area.

How and where can we voice our concerns about this?

IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #44 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 1:52pm »

You can voice concerns to the CRPA or your councillor.  But until they get funding from York Region I don't think we'll hear more about it until then.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »