Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 21st, 2017, 12:39am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.  (Read 16561 times)
amiyum
Supreme Villager

Re: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell
« Reply #45 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 2:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 27th, 2006, 4:46pm, Genie wrote:
Good post Cinderella, not just because we are in agreement on our position regarding this proposal, but you make an excellent point on having worked so hard to get here. †I just don't get it with the few supporters of this proposal, what is so great about having a bunch of low income people in our neighbourhood? †Especially ones with mental problems. What makes them so desireable over successful mid or high income earners? †As SteveH stated the unfortunate low income people are just trying to make it to the next month. †Doesn't this usually cause desperation? †What are the results of desperation? †Resentment of the successful neighbours and their children? †Again, I disagree with SteveH stating that 90% of coach houses are owned by the occupants. Definitely not, that high percentage are renters occupying the coach houses and not the owners of the property. Lets inform our local politicians running for municipal election in November that we oppose this proposal before the formalities begin next spring. Either call them or send them an email. †You can find their numbers and email addresses here  
http://www.markham.ca/markham/channels/contactus/contactus.htm#Departmen ts

There are some decent hard working people living in affordable housing. Drastic unfortunate situations can occur in a personís life which would require them to live in affordable housing. Look at the families of Katrina. †I would also guess that a number of homeowners living in Cornell would not able to afford their current homes if suddenly there was a single source of income.  

I know Coop Housing have breakdowns for full rent and subsidize units. People paying full are usually not qualified for subsidy based on their income. Some have combine incomes up to and over $90 thousand range. They moved in when they needed help, later they are more stable and stayed around for a while until they pay off their student loans, etc.

Itís unfortunate that a number of the TO affordable housing are not well managed and maintained. Itís also unfortunate to see someone trying to bring up their family in some of those deplorable conditions among people with mental illness and serious criminal record  
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2006, 2:44pm by amiyum » IP Logged
magster12232003
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #46 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 3:19pm »

Having served on the board of a women's shelter before, I want to point out that the issue of shelter for women is not the women themselves, it is the crazy spouses that try to get them back that's the issue.  The shelter that I was affilicated with had to have security camera's, bullet proof windows, high wooden fence around the playground for the kids, strict curfew rules, etc. to protect the women and their children.  And, there was one incident where one woman was stealing from the shelter and dumping what she stole in the garbage so that her spouse could come and pick them up later from the garbace outside.  And, of course, the shelter had no visible signs on the outside that it was a shelter, it looked like a regular low cost housing complex.  I'm not sure what I am trying to add to the discussion other than that it is usually not the residents themselves that are the issue, it's the affiliations that come into the area that cause the problems.  i.e. everytime there's an issue at the Jane and Finch area, the newspapers interview neighbours and parents who are decent hardworking people.  But, the one kid who makes a mistake and befriends a bunch of gangsters brings trouble into the neighbourhood for everyone else.  

Having gone through some work to find out more about parking permits within cornell, hopefully any restrictions that Cornell residents face are also implemented in this development to limit the number of cars parked on the streets/grass/driveway/etc.
IP Logged
Genie
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #47 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 4:23pm »

on Sep 18th, 2006, 4:30pm, amiyum wrote:
Can we do anything as residents to oppose this? Although I do feel a bit bad for saying this as these people deserve to live in a decent home.

There are concerns about the safety of our kids and property investment etc, which every community will have. However Cornell already has the hospital which brings in lots of emergency vehicles, there is a proposed airport close by and now this. Anything else?? Itís too much for Cornell, how about the areas around HWY 48 and Major Mackenzie.  

Hi amiyum, I am a little confused on your position on this MICAH proposal.  Your post above is clearly in opposition and then your most recent post you appear to be supporting it.  I know there are decent people with high moral values residing in affordable/subsidized housing.  I have some very good life long friends who came out of Regent Park and they certainly are decent people.  I visited with them many times in Regent Park and I can say without a doubt that they are of a small percentage of the families that reside in these housing complexes.  I also have nothing against a familly who has fallen on hard times and need some assistance and I also have a huge soft spot for abused women and their children.  I am just against condensing all of the despair in a single location.  Consider all of these problem families and add the mental instability of the other unit occupants and you have a much higher percentage of the well intentioned plans of MICAH going astray.  I just don't want to take the chance on this MICAH proposal ruining our lovely community.  It only takes one bad incident  to start the downfall.  I know it could happen anywhere in Cornell, but going with the percentages, it has a much higher chance of happening out of the MICAH proposed site.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #48 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 5:04pm »

on Sep 28th, 2006, 4:23pm, Genie wrote:

I know it could happen anywhere in Cornell, but going with the percentages, it has a much higher chance of happening out of the MICAH proposed site.

But when comparing 120 vs 16,000 for Cornell you will see much more crime in Cornell outside of this proposal no matter what percentages are used.  But unfortunately anything that takes place near this facility will be under a microscope while elsewhere in Cornell it will discussed as a one-off.
IP Logged
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #49 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 11:57pm »

on Sep 28th, 2006, 4:23pm, Genie wrote:

Hi amiyum, I am a little confused on your position on this MICAH proposal. †Your post above is clearly in opposition and then your most recent post you appear to be supporting it. †I know there are decent people with high moral values residing in affordable/subsidized housing. †I have some very good life long friends who came out of Regent Park and they certainly are decent people. †I visited with them many times in Regent Park and I can say without a doubt that they are of a small percentage of the families that reside in these housing complexes. †I also have nothing against a familly who has fallen on hard times and need some assistance and I also have a huge soft spot for abused women and their children. †I am just against condensing all of the despair in a single location. †Consider all of these problem families and add the mental instability of the other unit occupants and you have a much higher percentage of the well intentioned plans of MICAH going astray. †I just don't want to take the chance on this MICAH proposal ruining our lovely community. †It only takes one bad incident †to start the downfall. †I know it could happen anywhere in Cornell, but going with the percentages, it has a much higher chance of happening out of the MICAH proposed site.

Hi Genie, your response in regards to my stance on the MICAH proposal was expected and I do understand why it might be confusing.

While I respect the opinion of all, the response at 2:44pm was my opinion on the below comment:
ďwhat is so great about having a bunch of low income people in our neighbourhood?
What makes them so desirable over successful mid or high income earners?Ē  
Low income people Ė who are the individuals in this category? Are they students, people with disabilities, single parents, decent hard working individuals working jobs that are not paying enough for what they do? A number of these are honest folks working diligently towards their goals and thatís why I am not against subsidized housing. †This was my defense for some of the people who do live in those homes.

Since those individuals will only be a fraction of the occupants, I am definitely against the MICAH proposal in Cornell.

Other reasons includes Ö.
1. A housing with up to 20 people with mental illness and an airport was not a part of the New Urbanism selling feature of Cornell. This is not what I had in mind for my kid, myself or my investment. While I have a small starter home, I would love to get a decent ROI when I reach 40 or 50 to buy something else.

2. The management and maintenance on Non Profit Housing are often undesirable.  

3. In general renters often do not show the same pride and respect for the property. While this is true for most rental homes, itís often worst when the place is subsidized.

4. The proposal for the airport is still in the air.

5. As Markham develops, the hospital will get busier and so will the number of sirens.

6. The abuse of subsidize housing angers me Ė some people are in need while others take it for a ride.

Take all these things into consideration; if all the †proposals get approved, how will Cornell stack up †to other areas in Markham. There are lots of development going on around Boxgrove, East of Major Mackenzie and 9th line; the development can be balanced around Markham communities

If we canít stop the units from being built, then we can try to push back on a reduction in the number of units for people with mental illness.  

FYI - I will be voicing my concerns to the CRPA and our councilor
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2006, 12:15am by amiyum » IP Logged
Genie
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #50 on: Sep 29th, 2006, 8:29am »

on Sep 28th, 2006, 11:58pm, The_MoFo wrote:

Just take away the words "mental illness" or "dual diagnosis" and insert the racial minority of your choice.  Now, realize that you are all just as bad as the very racists you complained about at the splash pad and playground... except infinitely worse.

I'm not a religious fellow, but some of you people certainly are the devil personified.  What would your Imam/Priest/Rabbi/Pastor say to some of these anonymous confessions??  

Obviously you are confused.  There is absolutely no comparison of being a racist to being concerned for the safety of our famillies and community.  It is far better to error on the side of safety then to be sorry later.  
My initial response to your post surely would have gotten this thread closed.

on Sep 28th, 2006, 11:58pm, The_MoFo wrote:

SteveH, I respect you immensely for (a) being so diplomatic, and (b) for letting the free speech continue when the heat gets turned up a bit.  So much better than the lousy Elvis days.  But, being a Mofo, I have no such restraint.  I hope you don't delete this...  Aggressive and inflammatory?  Yes.  Worthy?  I hope so.

Bleeding Heart?  Definitely.

SteveH, you came down on Cornellbachelor for comments far milder than the MoFo wrote, so I am anxious to read your response  
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #51 on: Sep 29th, 2006, 9:44am »

Well, I won't comment any further on my personal opinions as I feel everything has already been said and we are just going around in circles.  If (still an if) this proposal does get approved, I am hopeful that we can get over our differences and welcome these people into our community.  I would encourage everyone to read all the comments here and do your own research before coming to a conclusion.

As the moderator for this site I am concerned that attacks on individual posters as well as the inappropriate profiling of certain groups has escalated to the point of not return.  So I have decided to close this thread.  Please do not start this topic again.

Thanks
Steve
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #52 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 12:25am »

After careful consideration I have decided to reopen this thread.

Please remember that we are all in the same community and constant attacks are not helpful.  I also ask you to remember that there are likely many residents of Cornell who have or had the same diseases that this project is proposed to support.  

Please choose your words carefully as this is obviously a very emotional topic.
IP Logged
Genie
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #53 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 4:35am »

Thanks Steve for reconsidering and re-opening this topic.  I think that it is important to be able to read everyone's point of view on this subject, even the ones written in anger and way out of line.   Maybe it will even soften the stance of the opposition.

I do have one question for you and that is the number of 16,000 that you have referenced, what does it consist of?  Are these total numbers of homes or units?  What are the boundaries involved and what is the time frame?
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #54 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 3:50pm »

The 16,000 is the total number of homes that are proposed for Cornell.  This includes detached, semis, towns, coachhouses, condo units, apartment units.  This covers the area from the new bypass in the East and North to 9th line in the West and 407 to the south.  This information comes from the draft Cornell Secondary Plan that was presented in March of this year.

http://www.cornellvillage.ca/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=urban;action=dis play;num=1118441208

The plan from then estimated 38,000 resident in 14,500 units as well as 11,000-13000 jobs.  At the public meeting in June the Town said that after further reviewing what is planned they would update the draft plan this fall to show 42,000 resident in 16,000 units.  This will happen over a 20 year period.  By next year Cornell will have about 3000 homes and 8000 residents.  The MICAH project would be in full operation around 2010 if approved.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #55 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 4:09pm »

I just want to expand a bit further on the selection process for affordable housing projects.  York Region was given funding from the Ontario government for 370 units in total.  Of this 100 units must be designated for people with mental diseases.  I don't know if this requirement came from York Region or the Ontario Government but it looks like MICAH's proposal was alligned with these requirements in mind.

Also, if MICAH does not get selected by York Region they will probably wait until the next round of funding becomes available.  The United Church Council owns these lands and they are usually willing the wait as long as it takes.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #56 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 5:00pm »

Here is a presentation made by the town that gives us an idea on the Town of Markham's position for affordable housing.  

http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2006/Development%20 Services-Economic%20Development/September%2019/Servicing%20Allocation%20for%20Affordable%20Housing_files/frame.htm

Here is one quote from this presentation.

"Request Staff to fast-track a review of opportunities, and determine options available and financial incentives and impacts, to ensure Markham receives a share of the 300 affordable housing unit allocation under York Region."

Page 11 from the presentation gives you an idea of the process.

IP Logged
Genie
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #57 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 4:01am »

on Sep 30th, 2006, 3:50pm, SteveH wrote:
The 16,000 is the total number of homes that are proposed for Cornell.  This includes detached, semis, towns, coachhouses, condo units, apartment units.  This covers the area from the new bypass in the East and North to 9th line in the West and 407 to the south.  This information comes from the draft Cornell Secondary Plan that was presented in March of this year.

Thanks for the info Steve, however you missed listing the northern border and I could not find it in the link you provided.

I also noticed in the Town of  Markhams report that part of York Regions criteria for approval of the affordable housing project is "community support"
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #58 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 11:41am »

The bypass is the border to the north as well.
IP Logged
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #59 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 2:15pm »

FYI - there are a few kinds of affordable homes http://www.optionsforhomes.ca/news.php

I think this is a great option
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »