Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 21st, 2017, 12:44am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.  (Read 16568 times)
Genie
Outstanding Villager

Re: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell
« Reply #60 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 8:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello everyone:

Thought I should post the prompt reply I received from our ward 5 councillor, John Webster.  I sent an email to him yesterday to register my opposition to the MICAH proposal and received the following response from him today.  Very impressive!   I also complained about the delay in the widening of Ninth Line.

Here is John Webster's response

I too have concerns about the quality of the lifestyle in Cornell, as well as the rest of Ward 5.  The future phases of the development need to be done in tandem with the current residents.  That is why I have set up and chair a committee called the Cornell Centre Advisory Committee, which is made up of members of the community, the Town Planning Staff, the hospital planners and the development community.  Together we will be able to make certain that all aspects fit together.

To date, there is no specific MICAH proposal that has been presented to the Town.  MICAH is still in the development and planning stage.  They did send a proposal to the Regional Government for funding, and the funding has not yet been approved.  If it is approved, the MICAH plan will then have to go through all the process that is required for such a project.  It is at that time that I will be calling a public meeting to be able to discuss what they will be able to build and what services they will be able to provide.

What the Council did approve is that here well be 120 Units of Water and Sewer Allocation set aside for affordable housing in the Town of Markham, but that is not specific to MICAH.  That allocation is for the entire Town and all the projects that may come forth.

I will forward your concerns to the committee and keep you informed of the progress.

The intersection of 9th Line and Highway 7 is a disappointment.  I have been working for 3 years to get the reconstruction of the 9th Line moved forward, and that has finally happened.  The preliminary work is being done now, and should be completed as you say by next year.  Suddenly in the summer, the Province of Ontario would not release the permits to do the intersection.  They have changed the specifications.  I was most angry at this last minute decision by the Province, and we are working with the Province to rectify the problem.  It is the Province that is also holding up the completion of Bur Oak and Highway 7.

One concession I did get was the creation of a right turn lane at Highway 7, which has just been opened and will help.  I also got the piece of un-assumed road at the south end of Bur Oak opened to Church Street to stop the traffic meandering through Riverlands, and I had them pave Riverlands to the current By-Pass to allow another exit from Cornell.

By the end of this week, or possibly next week at the latest, the permanent By-Pass will be open, and from your street, you will find it faster to go east on 16th, South on the By-Pass and east on Highway 7.

9th Line will be completed to Rose Way Ave. by next year, and if I am elected again, I will continue the push to the Province to let us complete the intersection at the same time.

I will keep you informed of the progress.

Thank you for your support.

John Webster  
Councillor Ward 5  

The Town of Markham  
101 Town Centre Blvd.  
Markham  ON Canada L3R 9W3  
Phone: 905-479-7750  
Fax:     905-479-7763  
e-mail   JWebster@Markham.ca  

IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #61 on: Apr 27th, 2007, 11:47am »

The Micah Project was one of 4 RFPs approved by York Region last week.  Now we will need to wait for Provincial confirmation, although this will be more of a formality since they have already committed funding to York Region for Affordable housing.  The only change could be the slight reduction of total spaces by 36.

http://www.york.ca/Regional+Government/Agendas+Minutes+and+Reports/_2007 /CM+Apr+19+2007.htm

Results of the Request for Proposal Process for the Rental and Supportive Housing Component of the Canada-Ontario Affordable Housing Program (AHP)

It was moved by Mayor Young, seconded by Mayor Black, that Council adopt the recommendations contained in the confidential report (April 11, 2007) of the Community Services and Housing Committee as follows:

1. Regional Council recommend to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing that the following projects receive a conditional commitment, for a total of 271 units, subject to the Ministry increasing the Region's allocation by 36 units, as follows:  

- Hesperus Fellowship Community of Ontario/Hesperus Fellowship Village (60 units).

- Kehilla Residential Programme/The Reena Foundation (61 units).

- Markham Interchurch Committee for Affordable Housing (MICAH)/East Markham Non Profit Homes (120 units).

- Mount Albert United Church/Mount Albert United Church Senior's Citizen Foundation (30 units).

2. In the event that the Minister does not increase the Region's allocation by 36 units, Regional staff be authorized to negotiate revised unit allocations with each of the proponents and report back to Regional Council.

3. Subject to receiving a conditional commitment of funding, the Commissioner of Community Services, Housing and Health Services be authorized to enter into Contribution Agreements with each of the recommended projects, each Contribution Agreement being subject to the prior review of Legal Services.

The balance of the report to remain confidential under the provisions of the Municipal Act as it contains information pertaining to the security of municipal property.
IP Logged
Just me
Active Villager

« Reply #62 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 2:37pm »

on Sep 18th, 2006, 3:20pm, SW20_MR2 wrote:
I have never liked and never will like the idea of affordable housing in affluent mid- and high-income areas.  I hate to sound elitist, but there is a reason why I paid the money I did to live in this type of area.  

One of my concerns when choosing an area was the look of the neighbourhood once construction had completed.  I want to see nice gardens, beautifully-kept house exteriors, etc.  In low-income housing areas, these types of things are an afterthought - and for good reason since they have other things on their mind.  

I'm all for community housing, but they need to put them in the right area.  In this case, they may be affecting our land values.  I hate to say it, but I certainly would not pay the same price for a home that is located right beside the housing project.

This shocks me and not because of the limited scope.  So you do not want to live next door to this and that.  May I suggest that you never know what you live next door to.  So the nice community may have fathers or uncles who are inappropriate with their children and have been for years, parents who fight and drink too frequently but function and go to work, siblings with substance use issues but manage to get good grades - is this a better neighbourhood.  This is the stereotype of suburban communities so I guess you are well acquainted with this.  A stereotype is a stereotype and my point is do not make the mistake of thinking that these so called nice areas are in fact all nice.
IP Logged

Thanks in advance for your reply,

CornellHopeful
Supreme Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #63 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 2:44pm »

Interesting take, SW20_MR2.  I think the poster was more concerned about how the housing project will look, as far as aesthetics go.  They didn't seem to mention or comment on the types of people who would be living there.
IP Logged
thankful
Active Villager

« Reply #64 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 4:54pm »

I would also like to mention that many years ago when the Cornell Development was being proposed many people that lived in homes nearby did not like the idea of "affordable housing" being built behind them. Cornell was permitted to be built on a "government sanctioned green zone" because there was a need for more affordable housing.
I must say that after the homes were built and the community took shape I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Not too crazy that the land was developed but that people really seemed to take care and pride in their home. Values have been steadily increasing.
IP Logged
SW20_MR2
Supreme Villager

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #65 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 9:22pm »

I have never suggested that a suburb is perfect.  You'd have to be dillusional to think something like that.  

Stereotype or not.  Name one low-income community that looks nice.  Regent park?  Jane/Finch?  

on Jun 18th, 2007, 2:37pm, Just me wrote:

This shocks me and not because of the limited scope. So you do not want to live next door to this and that. May I suggest that you never know what you live next door to. So the nice community may have fathers or uncles who are inappropriate with their children and have been for years, parents who fight and drink too frequently but function and go to work, siblings with substance use issues but manage to get good grades - is this a better neighbourhood. This is the stereotype of suburban communities so I guess you are well acquainted with this. A stereotype is a stereotype and my point is do not make the mistake of thinking that these so called nice areas are in fact all nice.

IP Logged
Just me
Active Villager

« Reply #66 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 9:20am »

Those projects built at Jane/Finch, St. Jamestown, Regents Park, Moss Park etc. were built in another time and they were solely low income, in addition they were segregate and streamlined by an administration with their own bias and agenda.  The controls used today with mixed market rent/RGI subsidies are managed in a different manner.  There are co-ops that have been built in the past 10 years that do not resemble the large Metro Housing/Toronto Housing complexes.  Many of these co-ops have equal numbers of people who are paying market value rents and those paying RGI rents simply earn a lower income and both groups care about the property they live in.  I think you may not have had the opportunity to see many of these communities and may have your opinion guided only by Regents Park and Jane/Finch.  I would suggest that you go and visit some of the more successful developments in Toronto.
I would however say that really a good neighbourhood is determined by the quality of families that live there not the curb appeal of your home.  If we pay too much attention to what is seen by people on the outside we neglect to see what is falling apart inside which is usually the relationships between family members.
I do hope that schools and neighbours show their good side if and when this development happens as it would be a shame for children to be unwelcomed because people have decided they should not be allowed to live in Cornell.
IP Logged

Glen River
Supreme Villager

Long Live Cornell

« Reply #67 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 1:02pm »

Why not incorporate the multi housing or affordable housing in Markham Centre, by Marham Town Centre so that everything is within reach by the residents unlike Cornell where it's like you have to drive al the time because Viva is not extended, very few YRT routes are available.
   There are still a big chunk of vacant lot in that location. Grin
IP Logged
Just me
Active Villager

« Reply #68 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 1:53pm »

not a bad idea since Cornell has an extremely limited infrastructure at this time.
IP Logged

SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #69 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 2:55pm »

This affordable housing project was initiated by the developer (the United Church).  There would need to be a developer willing to do this near the Town Centre.  

By the time this building is completed in 2010 the Community Centre & Library, which would be located just north of this building, will be open by then.  I would expect a number of retail outlet just south of them to be open by then as well including a grocery store.  York Region transit has committed to extending VIVA to cornell this fall and all buses stopping at the hospital will go down to Bur Oak & Hwy 7 now that Bur Oak is open.  Even though there will be empty fields to the east and west of this building they will have similar or better access to services compared to other areas of Markham.  

The bigger concern is how will they integrate into the rest of Cornell when initially their only immediate neighbours are the hospital, community centre & retail.  Will the kids only play with other children in their building?  The Community Centre would have to play a large role in this.  Does the Town have policies for hardship cases where families can access community services without paying fees?  Can an exemption be made for families in this facility?

There are still lots of questions.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #70 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 9:23pm »

I just got confirmation that MICAH is no longer considering Cornell for this proposal.  They are looking at building this elsewhere in Markham.
IP Logged
Genie
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #71 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 3:41am »

Thanks for the information Steve, that is very good news!  Now lets hope that the end result for the airport is the same.
IP Logged
marylou
Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #72 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 8:56am »

I am totally against this project.  It will certainly not be good for our area. 20 or 25 units can be controlled.  But with the large number proposed all in on area is very big trouble.  It's only common sense.
IP Logged
Glen River
Supreme Villager

Long Live Cornell

« Reply #73 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 9:38am »

on Aug 30th, 2007, 9:02am, AspenRidgeBuyer wrote:

Steve - I was concerned about this project from the very beginning, so I'm not sad that MICAH has backed out, but I'm curious as to whether you have any idea why they decided to look elsewhere? I was under the impression that they had already received preliminary approval from the Town and that leads me to believe that they had spent at least some money on the project...what made them change their minds?

Don't be jovial either because who knows what's gonna be built in there, could be same type of building but a different owner.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #74 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 9:27am »

MICAH had received approval from the region, although the location could be changed.  The Town still needed to approve the location.  The United Church decided not to build a church in Cornell so they sold all of their property to a developer.  MICAH's agreements with the United Church then fell apart, so they are now looking elsewhere to build.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »