Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 21st, 2017, 12:41am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.  (Read 16563 times)
Village_Counselor
Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell
« Reply #75 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 12:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If this is the case..this would be great. Cause personally, I really do not wish to see myself living next to affordable housing. Also, your house value will go down.

I had worked in Toronto Housing for a good 5 years - managing communities. Been to many areas/community within GTA. My share of experience to my fellow neighbours is...can only say all of them are not good. Yes. The media does blow things up 10x...but honestly, there are problems.

That being said...I am not against helping low income families. There are a lot of families that really needed help.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #76 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 10:52am »

MICAH is not totally dead yet for Cornell, especially if the Town were to allow CornellGate (IBC) to build taller buildings in exchange for giving land to MICAH.

http://cornellgates.com/dataroom/REVIEW%20OF%20LOTS%2025-609500%20AND%20 25-611500%20cornell%20markham.pdf

"MICAH- A church organization wanting to build on the property does not have the financial resources to pay for land at the price paid by IBC and would be looking for a special deal. IBC will need to determine how beneficial the relationship is between IBC, MICAH and the Town. Although the Town is very supportive of MICAH's plans for a site in Cornell, another site has been identified in Markham that could meet MICAH's requirements. The site is owned by the Town and would be transferred to MICAH at no charge. MICAH has already submitted to IBC a letter of intent for 1 acre of the property for a price between $ 1.5 – 1.8 million."

IP Logged
villagemaker2000
Supreme Villager

It's Nice Living in Cornell

« Reply #77 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 12:13pm »

on Nov 21st, 2007, 10:52am, SteveH wrote:
MICAH is not totally dead yet for Cornell, especially if the Town were to allow CornellGate (IBC) to build taller buildings in exchange for giving land to MICAH.

http://cornellgates.com/dataroom/REVIEW%20OF%20LOTS%2025-609500%20AND%20 25-611500%20cornell%20markham.pdf

"MICAH- A church organization wanting to build on the property does not have the financial resources to pay for land at the price paid by IBC and would be looking for a special deal. IBC will need to determine how beneficial the relationship is between IBC, MICAH and the Town. Although the Town is very supportive of MICAH's plans for a site in Cornell, another site has been identified in Markham that could meet MICAH's requirements. The site is owned by the Town and would be transferred to MICAH at no charge. MICAH has already submitted to IBC a letter of intent for 1 acre of the property for a price between $ 1.5 – 1.8 million."

Any idea where would that new site be?  thanks!
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #78 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 1:51pm »

This is the same United Church lands that is being purchased by IBC.
IP Logged
ahmike
Village Moderator
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #79 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 3:05pm »

I can't imagine why IBC would be willing to give or even sell a portion of their land to a group that wants to build subsidized housing (even in exchange for permission to build taller buildings).  

To succeed, this project has to be marketed to residential/retail/commercial investors.  If I were one of these investors, I certainly would not want to put my money in a location with subsidized housing in the immediate vicinity.  
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2007, 3:09pm by ahmike » IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #80 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 3:42pm »

ahmike,

I would agree except that IBC doesn't seem to be a traditional developer.  The founder, Firoz Shroff has worked for the United Nations establishing programs integrating social and entrepreneurial values.  Here is one comment from IBC's web site.

http://www.ibcre.com/about.htm

"As part of our group global social responsibility and philanthropic commitment, we endow percentage of our profit to Homeland International Inc to assist them in their endeavors of social and community housing and mixed used development ventures to play a social responsibility and catalyst role to improve quality of life in communities."

Here are some comments from another organization that he founded.

http://www.seconsortium.com/index.htm

"SEC is based on the idea of social entrepreneurship - a concept that combines the passion of a social mission with the exercise of business practice. As such, SE is equally relevant to both corporations and non-profit organizations. It enables social entrepreneurs to meet both social and profit objectives."

I still don't know what could come out of this, but this developer does not have a builders background so their proposal could be different than the norm.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #81 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 5:03pm »

ARB,

Everything is factual, except for the last 2 points.  Those are just speculation based on my interpretation of comments from the Town and IBC.

I don't know the reasons for the offer from MICAH, but it could be they prefer the Cornell location as it is based in a centre and close to required services.  The fact that MICAH presented an offer suggests that this is not dead yet and they may feel something could get done.  I am guessing there is more to this than what was written in this document.  

My understanding is that the other location is somewhere along Kennedy (don't know where).

IBC is a new company will little history.  According to their web site they have over $1B in commitments from equity investors.  Only time will tell if they will consider this.
IP Logged
Delayed
Outstanding Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #82 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 11:01pm »

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon a little late but how far along is this process?  Prior to any development, the town would have to hold meetings to hear community arguments in favour or against the development. Has this stage been passed?  I am just concerned (somewhat selfishly) with the idea of having subsidized housing in the area.  

Thoughts?
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #83 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:23am »

We are still a long ways from a public meeting, assuming this project gets to the next stage.
IP Logged
markdh
Supreme Villager

« Reply #84 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 7:54am »

Pretty sad that "we" don't want to "mix" with those that are less fortunate, in the continuing battle to make money, in order to spend money, and have materialistic things.  Hmmm.   Undecided

As an atheist, I'm not really "into" what the church does, however in this case what better idea than to bring the less fortunate into a nice neighbourhood.

The less fortunate's kids can mix with the fortunate ones, learn the ways of the world and how materialistic it is.  

They can learn to want for nice clothes and fancy cars.  They can see how the "better" people live, with our garages in the backyard, our plant pots nicely organized, many dollars spent on pretty things.

They can yearn to be "better" people so they contribute to society.  Society will ensure that they try to make as much money as they can so they can buy as much as they can.

Then... when society has turned them into the elitists and snobs that have been replying to this post, they can pretend to be people that care about the less fortunate....

... but not in our neighbourhood.   We'll put them far away from us, and throw them pennies if they beg... maybe send them $30 a month because for as little as a dollar a day.............................

....... we'll pretend that we care.

IP Logged
villagemaker2000
Supreme Villager

It's Nice Living in Cornell

« Reply #85 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:19am »

on Nov 23rd, 2007, 7:54am, markdh wrote:
Pretty sad that "we" don't want to "mix" with those that are less fortunate, in the continuing battle to make money, in order to spend money, and have materialistic things.  Hmmm.   Undecided

As an atheist, I'm not really "into" what the church does, however in this case what better idea than to bring the less fortunate into a nice neighbourhood.

The less fortunate's kids can mix with the fortunate ones, learn the ways of the world and how materialistic it is.  

They can learn to want for nice clothes and fancy cars.  They can see how the "better" people live, with our garages in the backyard, our plant pots nicely organized, many dollars spent on pretty things.

They can yearn to be "better" people so they contribute to society.  Society will ensure that they try to make as much money as they can so they can buy as much as they can.

Then... when society has turned them into the elitists and snobs that have been replying to this post, they can pretend to be people that care about the less fortunate....

... but not in our neighbourhood.   We'll put them far away from us, and throw them pennies if they beg... maybe send them $30 a month because for as little as a dollar a day.............................

....... we'll pretend that we care.

Aren't we all hypocrites?
IP Logged
Glen River
Supreme Villager

Long Live Cornell

« Reply #86 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:34am »

on Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:15am, AspenRidgeBuyer wrote:

Back off markdh.
I am the resident "pot-stirrer" on this board.
That means that I'm the only member that's allowed to piss people off with "extremist" points of view.
If you want to do the same thing, then I suggest that you go find another board.
Maybe Greensborough's board has an opening for a "pot stirrer".
 Wink

Don't pass it on to Markdh,  no one else will beat you for that title.  It best suits you.  LOL!
IP Logged
Rich_and_Val
Village Moderator
Supreme Villager

« Reply #87 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:43am »

Please keep comments on topic, let's not resort to accusations and name calling.

ValSmiley
IP Logged
markdh
Supreme Villager

« Reply #88 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:46am »

Village - No we aren't ALL hypocrites... I'd love to live next door to some less fortunate people.    

IP Logged
marylou
Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #89 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:34am »

Yes, Markdh.  Why are you living in a middle class neighbourhood?   Move to Jane and Finch. and have a good life.  That's if you live that long....LOL
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »