Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 10:52am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell Ctr.  (Read 17194 times)
Rich_and_Val
Village Moderator
Supreme Villager

Re: MICAH Affordable Housing Proposal for Cornell
« Reply #90 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There is a lot of informative information in this thread, it would be a shame if I had to lock or delete it.

Please refrain from personal jabs.
IP Logged
humanetouch
Outstanding Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #91 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 12:11pm »

Correct me if I am wrong.  People who live in the Jane & Finch area are mostly apartment renters not affordable housing owners just like Jamestown which has recovered its reputation somehow.
    Also in Willowdale, there was an affordable housing built there in 2000 but the area hasn't lost its reputation as being a good neighborhood.  In fact the value of the houses there never went down.
    There's always exception to the rule.
IP Logged
mbds
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

In Cornell, and.....loving it!

« Reply #92 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 3:16pm »

I think it all depends on the size and scope of the proposal and who's administering it. From what I understand, MICAH has a very good track record and we're not talking about a large-scale social housing project here. Steve could probably confirm this, but isn't there a MICAH project just off Robinson, west of 48 (Main Street)? This hardly looks like a ghetto and I haven't noticed shopkeepers in the area installing bars on all their windows. There's an affordable housing area on Willowdale Ave in North York, south of Finch...been there for many many years...and it hasn't deterred people from tearing down houses in the area and putting up million dollar homes. I think we just need to avoid a knee-jerk reaction. If and when a proposal comes along, only then can we make an informed and appropriate response.
IP Logged
Cornell_in_progres
Outstanding Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #93 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 3:21pm »

Not so long time ago, We lived on Leslie a little south of Finch. We didn't know at the time that there are 2 social housing projects, one just north of Finch on Leslie, another one 1 traffic light north of Sheppard. We saw people that were not from our townhouse complex gathering late at night in our visitor parking and strange smell was comming from that meeting, but at the time, that was all the interaction we had Grin.
Only when somebody stole one of our bikes from the garage (the door was open, but it was Saturday afternoon on a nice summer day) we found out (from the Police) that we are close to some not-so-rich-but-also-not-so-honest-people.  
We recovered the bike some 2 months after in a funny way. We were driving home and we saw a guy riding a bike simmilar with the stollen one and, being a not-so-politically-correct" citizen, we sort of profiled the guy that was riding the bike (not very expensive, but a good bike) and he didn't fit with it so we follow him in one of the complexes, we approached the police cruiser that was 7/24 there and they approached the guy (they knew quasy-everybody by first name Grin) , the guy said, "yeap, it's not mine, it was just here leaning against this post and I just took it for a ride, take it to the rightfull owner, good thing officer that you are here or somebody may have stole it Roll Eyes"... The police told us to be happy that we found it and that he can't do anything against the guy because he will stick to his story and there is no way to prove that he's lying ...

The point is, for sure they (as in the affordable-house-future-tennants) can learn that if you work hard, life is good... But it also may lead to "hey, those rich people yo' have too much anyway, what is a bike/car/toy for them so why bother with this work thingy?" ...  

I have a silly question... why would somebody move people sort of far away from jobs ? It's sort of obvious that nobody will try to find a job that doesn't pay too much if they have to spend 2-3 hours on the road commuting to work when you can sell the odd joint or stolen good and collect your welfare cheque while living in a government subsidized house.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2007, 3:24pm by Cornell_in_progres » IP Logged
markdh
Supreme Villager

« Reply #94 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 3:41pm »

Funny.... I've smelled that funny smell in our neighbourhoods, and cocaine is also a yuppy drug.
IP Logged
Cornell_in_progres
Outstanding Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #95 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 3:56pm »

Markdh,  
I don't care who smokes and/or drinks what , when and how much .... as long as they don't finance their habit out of my pocket  Grin.

Not sure if you saw a documentary produced by TVO... It was about some kids living in the Malvern project... At the end of the day, their (people living there) conclusion was : why bother to go to work for 10$/hour (that is what they could get based on the skill set they have) when you collect the welfare money and score more than that on a good hour of selling drugs .  

IP Logged
markdh
Supreme Villager

« Reply #96 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 4:08pm »

The local yuppy druggies won't have far to go then when the local low income housing gets built.

New Urbanism at its finest... everything you  need in your neighbourhood.

IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #97 on: Nov 29th, 2007, 3:30pm »

It looks like the Town is trying to move forward on the Kennedy Road location (North of 14th) with Micah's 5 storey building.

See page 3
http://www.markham.ca/NR/rdonlyres/3607D0A3-0B0E-41A8-AB38-E50E39D4E48D/ 0/agn_comadjmt_071114pdf.pdf

« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2007, 3:31pm by SteveH » IP Logged
thinkingofcornell
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #98 on: Dec 1st, 2007, 5:57pm »

Huh Well we live downtown, in a neighbourhood with many interspered subsidized housing projects.  (one at the foot of our tree lined street) Our 15 foot wide semi is worth about 540k.  It is 1100 square feet and not really renovated.  Values have been going up every year....despite subsidized housing. One sold right beside the subsidized lowrise building-renovated for 625k!

Many people who live in subsidized housing work--2 and 3 jobs.  They were educated in other countries, probably more educated than most of us "Canadians". Others have disabilities, developmental and physical, which limit their participation in the work force.  Did you know an individual with downsyndrome who cannot work due to no fault of their own gets only $800 per month to live onHuh?? But no way could someone like that live in your beautiful suburban oasis.  

Shame on all of you. You have made up our minds--no way would we move to Cornell. Maybe if you open your minds to others you too will realize huge property increases.  There aren't any houses in cornell under 1200 square feet that go for $625k!
IP Logged
Genie
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #99 on: Dec 2nd, 2007, 5:29am »

on Dec 1st, 2007, 5:57pm, thinkingofcornell wrote:
Huh Shame on all of you. You have made up our minds--no way would we move to Cornell. Maybe if you open your minds to others you too will realize huge property increases. There aren't any houses in cornell under 1200 square feet that go for $625k!

Right!!  I'm sure it had nothing to do with the downtown location but everything to do with being close to subsidized housing. Even in a fantasy that is not reasonable. Why would you even think of selling your overpriced home and moving to Cornell with all the middle class and leave all of your poor unfortunates behind?  Just what we need - more bleeding hearts!
IP Logged
SW20_MR2
Supreme Villager

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #100 on: Dec 2nd, 2007, 1:24pm »

Hahahahaha.  You could build both a crack house and a brothel next to to thinkingofcornell's home, and it would still be worth more than all Cornell homes.

on Dec 2nd, 2007, 5:29am, Genie wrote:

Right!! I'm sure it had nothing to do with the downtown location but everything to do with being close to subsidized housing. Even in a fantasy that is not reasonable. Why would you even think of selling your overpriced home and moving to Cornell with all the middle class and leave all of your poor unfortunates behind? Just what we need - more bleeding hearts!

IP Logged
thinkingofcornell
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #101 on: Dec 2nd, 2007, 6:14pm »

on Dec 2nd, 2007, 5:29am, Genie wrote:

Right!! I'm sure it had nothing to do with the downtown location but everything to do with being close to subsidized housing. Even in a fantasy that is not reasonable. Why would you even think of selling your overpriced home and moving to Cornell with all the middle class and leave all of your poor unfortunates behind? Just what we need - more bleeding hearts!

Thanks...you made my point for me. That was the gist of my post. Housing price has nothing to do with the presence of subsidized or assisted housing and everything to do with location, local amenities, transportation,etc.!!!!  Even if MICHA does build something, why would it affect you? If Cornell is a desirable location with easy to live in comfortable homes than your housing value will go up.  If anything is going to affect your housing price it will be the traffic issues--not 29 or so units in the huge cornell development that might house individuals who need to pay less money for their units.
And what is a bleeding heart anyway? Someone who thinks absued women, and people with disabilities and even people with mental illness (shock and horror) should be helped and not scorned.  Okay, I admit it, my heart bleeds.  

IP Logged
Rich_and_Val
Village Moderator
Supreme Villager

« Reply #102 on: Dec 2nd, 2007, 7:09pm »

Could we please keep the to the topic at hand without resorting to attacking other people's opinions?

This is obviously a very heated topic to discuss, but it can be done rationally, and without resorting to personal attacks.

Thank you.
IP Logged
nickleinonen
Supreme Villager

« Reply #103 on: Dec 2nd, 2007, 7:33pm »

low income housing is a good thing for those that require it, but it can become very bad very quickly. i have seen what the bad can be when i use to work for a company that did insurance repairs. many times the homes were not well kept, the properties were not well kept. neither of which i want to see in my community. i have been to ones that were very nicely kept and met some fine people that i would gladly have as neighbors.
IP Logged
mbds
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

In Cornell, and.....loving it!

« Reply #104 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:34am »

It's too bad we're losing you, "thinking of..."...we could use more people like you in our neighbourhood. There are a lot of thoughtful, caring people here....not all of us are 'nimby's'. From what I understood, MICAH's proposal was very modest and they are a 'quality' affordable housing outfit (not an oxymoron). If the less fortunate are welcomed into a community instead of outcast, it goes a long way towards avoiding the problems many associate with affordable housing.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »