Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 10:49am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   A New Cinema (Question)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A New Cinema (Question)  (Read 22038 times)
Maplenut
Active Villager

A New Cinema (Question)
« on: Feb 12th, 2009, 3:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anyone know when the new cinema at Hwy 48 & Major Mackenzie Dr will open? Last time I read the paper, it said in spring. Also, which corner will it be located?
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2010, 5:34pm by Maplenut » IP Logged
MJ
Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: New Cineplex Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2009, 6:23pm »

Refer to this original thread:
http://www.cornellvillage.ca/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=general_discussi ons;action=display;num=1213139715

It is Empire Theatres not Cineplex.  I wouldn't be surprised if it will be delayed because of this economy.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2009, 9:39am »

Movie theatres generally do well during bad times so I expect it will get built this year.

http://www.thestar.com/Entertainment/article/547400
IP Logged
Cary
Supreme Villager

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8th, 2010, 2:16pm »

Anyone hear about updates on Empire Theaters?
IP Logged
KnP
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: A New Cinema (Question)
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 2:35pm »

Empire supposedly pulled out of the deal at end of 2008 or early 2009.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 3:49pm »

on Jan 13th, 2010, 2:35pm, KnP wrote:
Empire supposedly pulled out of the deal at end of 2008 or early 2009.

Do you have a source?  According to the VP of Marketing at Empire they were still moving forward as of May 2009.

http://www.yorkregion.com/article/91781

The new 10-screen theatre slated to be built near Major Mackenzie Drive and Markham Road doesn't yet have an estimating opening date, said Dean Leland, the vice president of marketing and media for Empire Theatres Limited, the company behind the coming-soon cinema.

Ground has not yet been broken on the project, he said. "We continue to work through the many, many processes involved with the development of a project this size."  

IP Logged
brownie
Supreme Villager

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 4:59pm »

KnP might have a better source, but I read on the Greensborough Forum that Empire Theatres had pulled out of the project.  I believe that message was posted in December 2009 by a resident in Greensborough.  There was no source provided in that post.

According to the article that you linked to Steve, Empire Theatres had said that the project was delayed because there were a lot of "processes" for them to work through.  And when you consider that the Town of Markham is notorious for imposing very onerous requirements on projects such as this, I wouldn't be surprised if Empire just decided to pull out instead of devoting anymore time and money to the project.

It's sad, but when you have a municipality acting as heavy-handed as the Town of Markham tends to act in cases like this, then I'm not that surprised...
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 5:26pm »

Two people commented on it being cancelled in that forum.  The first basically said he was just guessing.  The 2nd said they pulled out in 2008 which we know not to be true based on the comments from Empire last May.  So I guess we still don't have any real information yet that it was cancelled.  I put in a call to Empire so we'll see what the PR people say.

"This was posted last year and since then they decided to pull out of the project. I think right now they haven't confirmed if it is actually going to happen. I hope it does. "

"This is old news, nothing is being built. It was to be built on the North West corner of Major Mac and Hwy 48 last spring. They pulled out 2008 when the recession kicked in, its nothing but empty space right now and probably will stay that way for a while"

IP Logged
Craig-Cornell
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 6:15pm »

What is being built just north of the Home Depot on HWY 48?  I thought that was the theatre and restaurants, etc.
IP Logged
brownie
Supreme Villager

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 8:48am »

on Jan 13th, 2010, 6:15pm, Craig-Cornell wrote:
What is being built just north of the Home Depot on HWY 48? I thought that was the theatre and restaurants, etc.

The big building is a Metro grocery store and (as far as I know) the smaller buildings still haven't been leased out yet except for a TD bank branch.

The theatre (if it ever comes) will be further north of the Metro grocery store and south of the Esso, Tim Hortons and Wendy's buildings.  It was slated to be a 10-screen "luxury" theatre, so it won't be as massive as the buildings put up by AMC or Famous Players' SilverCity.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #10 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 11:19am »

I received a similar message. The original location was cancelled 3-4 months ago. An announcment will be coming soon on it's new location (very close to the original location).  Hopefully they will be able to move quickly on building it.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2010, 11:20am by SteveH » IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #11 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 12:03pm »

A similar size Empire theatre opened in Orleans, ON last month.  This is what we can expect.

"This is the first theatre in the Empire Theatres network that has 100% integrated DLP Digital Cinema Projection providing crystal clear images, as well as 3D capability in three auditoriums."
IP Logged
brownie
Supreme Villager

« Reply #12 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 1:05pm »

Just the other day I saw that the plot of land at the southeast corner of Don Cousens and Major Mackenzie had one of those Notices erected that describes requests for re-zoning, changes to the plan of subdivision etc...  I was driving by, so I didn't get a chance to read the sign in full, but I recall it saying that a request had been submitted to re-zone the land from rural-residential to commercial.  I also think there was something on there about allowing restaurants with drive-thrus and maybe a gas station too...

Does anyone think that this would be a good location for a movie theatre?  The land is definitely big enough.

Anyways, I am hoping that Empire decides to build somewhere close to Cornell, but I have a feeling that they're probably going to build something further north.  The areas around the Stouffville Walmart are booming with development right now and the population up there is growing in leaps.  There is also a ton of land that is just sitting and waiting for development, so I wouldn't be surprised if Empire decides to go up there and anchor another power centre designed to compete with the Super Walmart complex.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #13 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 1:50pm »

Brownie,

The new location is much closer to the original location than the ones your are suggesting.   Wink
IP Logged
Cary
Supreme Villager

« Reply #14 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 4:15pm »

Thanks everyone for looking into this! I'm excited!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »