Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 10:50am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   A New Cinema (Question)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A New Cinema (Question)  (Read 22039 times)
mbds
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

In Cornell, and.....loving it!

Re: A New Cinema (Question)
« Reply #30 on: Nov 18th, 2010, 6:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I agree...that would only make sense if they replace First Markham with this new one. We still need one out this way....as amiyum says, for east Markham as well as Stouffville, Uxbridge etc.
IP Logged
Raven242
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #31 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 3:53pm »

I just email to Dean LeLand (Vice President - Studio Relations & Media) regarding the the possible theater. Here's his response:

"Thanks for your inquiry regarding the Markham location.  Although we have experienced several delays in getting this project underway, we are still in the approval process with many groups but and our current estimate is to be under construction by the Fall of 2012 with a planned opening in the Spring of 2013.  Later than we had hoped but we will get there!"  

It look like it still going to happen!!
IP Logged
MarkusWinkler
Supreme Villager

Choose a Realtor® who also LIVES IN Cornell!

WWW Email

« Reply #32 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 6:27pm »

Nice, thanks for that update. I'm getting a little tired of driving to First Markham just to see a movie. The less time I spend on highway 7, the happier I'll be as a person.
IP Logged

www.MarkusWinkler.ca
Cell: 416-312-1041
Office: 905-471-2000
Email: mwinkler@sutton.com
Raven242
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #33 on: Sep 1st, 2011, 9:39am »

Yes. It was originally planed for the SW corner of Markham Rd & Major. Mac. I've been told its now planned for the SE corner which is a larger plot of land. I can assume there will be a theatre and possible restaurants aswell. Pretty cool.
IP Logged
Shaun_C
Supreme Villager

« Reply #34 on: Sep 2nd, 2011, 11:37pm »

on Sep 1st, 2011, 9:39am, Raven242 wrote:
Yes. It was originally planed for the SW corner of Markham Rd & Major. Mac. I've been told its now planned for the SE corner which is a larger plot of land. I can assume there will be a theatre and possible restaurants aswell. Pretty cool.

Thanks for the update Raven! It's been a looooong wait! But think it'll be a welcome addition to the east end of Markham and Stouffville!!

shaun
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #35 on: Sep 13th, 2011, 2:44pm »

Not exactly the announcement we were expecting.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/cineplex-entertainment-announces -new-theatre-with-vip-cinemas-downtown-markham-ontario-tsx-cgx-1558656.htm

IP Logged
MarkusWinkler
Supreme Villager

Choose a Realtor® who also LIVES IN Cornell!

WWW Email

« Reply #36 on: Sep 13th, 2011, 6:10pm »

If they're going to build there instead of the east end of Markham, that's a real awful shame.

A movie theater out here would do very well, I imagine!
IP Logged

www.MarkusWinkler.ca
Cell: 416-312-1041
Office: 905-471-2000
Email: mwinkler@sutton.com
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #37 on: Sep 13th, 2011, 7:36pm »

I suspect this theatre will replace the existing Markham theatre as Cineplex wouldn't have 2 theatres so close to each other.  

This would still allow Empire Theatre to continue with their plans for the east end of Markham.
IP Logged
Shaun_C
Supreme Villager

« Reply #38 on: Sep 13th, 2011, 7:55pm »

That's good to hear Steve.   Like Markus mentioned, it'd be a real shame if they cancelled the East Markham theatre because of this announcement.  

Still looking forward to the Empire theatre! Cheesy
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #39 on: May 17th, 2012, 4:19pm »

Looks like it is moving forward.  See Empire Theatre in schematic on Page 3 near bottom right.  Public meeting is coming next.

http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2012/Development%2 0Services/pl120522/Villarboit%20Report.PDF

Looks like 2 of the largests building (other than Empire Theatres) already have a contract in place, so this could move quickly now.

http://www.paracom.ca/uploads/Markham-Site-Plan-Labelled-OCT-2011.pdf

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2012, 4:23pm by SteveH » IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #40 on: Oct 7th, 2013, 4:59pm »

This Empire Theatre in Markham is dead now.  

The Theatre in Markham Centre is already under construction and will open around the end of next year.  Then we can say good bye to First Markham.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2013, 4:59pm by SteveH » IP Logged
bartimus
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #41 on: Oct 7th, 2013, 5:57pm »

on Oct 7th, 2013, 4:59pm, SteveH wrote:
The Theatre in Markham Centre is already under construction and will open around the end of next year.  Then we can say good bye to First Markham.

wow that's good news. Can you tell me where they are putting it? Last time I checked there didn't seem to be room for a cinema there.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2013, 9:17am by bartimus » IP Logged
Shaun_C
Supreme Villager

« Reply #42 on: Oct 7th, 2013, 8:24pm »

on Oct 7th, 2013, 4:59pm, SteveH wrote:
This Empire Theatre in Markham is dead now.  

Super disappointing that there will be no cinema in the North-east part of Markham.  It's going to be a zoo in downtown Markham.  It's already pretty terrible at rush hour and they barely have anything even built yet!

Markham continues to be underserviced by movie theatres  Sad

shaun
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2013, 8:25pm by Shaun_C » IP Logged
mbds
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

In Cornell, and.....loving it!

« Reply #43 on: Oct 8th, 2013, 10:25am »

I agree...very disappointing. We'll probably go even less than we do now. Our movie outings would definitely have increased with a theatre in north-east Markham. Would've been great for all the Stouffville and surrounding-area folks as well. Sad
IP Logged
Rose
Outstanding Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #44 on: Apr 20th, 2014, 4:57pm »

Hi All,
A movie theater is NOT dead at Markham & Major Mack.  Residents in other areas of Markham (ratepayers) provided input on this site plan when it was presented at Council.

It's a long story but the builder chose to go
to the OMB. Their design for that quadrant was big box stores like the ones located by the current theater (Home Depot etc.) Residents would like to see a “pedestrian friendly urban mixed use development” including theater, open space,  nice restaurants similar to the Shoppes on Don Mills.

The developer is also in violation with the TRCA.  As of December we are not sure if this part has been resolved.  This intersection is the gateway to Markham if coming from the North.  Also, here is another piece of info many ppl will not know.  Empire Theatres has now been bought out by Landmark Theatres.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »