Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 17th, 2017, 3:44am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Summary of Cornell Projects for 2013 and beyond
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Summary of Cornell Projects for 2013 and beyond  (Read 34306 times)
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

Summary of Cornell Projects for 2013 and beyond
« on: Dec 21st, 2009, 12:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

With all of the construction expected over the next few years I thought it would be good to post a summary of the planned projects in Cornell. The private projects can change their schedule at any time. Let us try to keep specific questions/comments on individual projects to their own threads that were previously started in this forum. Let me know if I missed any projects.

PUBLIC PROJECTS

Public High School - School will be opening in the fall of 2017.

Multi-use Pathway - The town will continue to extend the mult-use pathway along Donald Cousens Parkway from 9th line down to 14th ave.. This will be done in sections based on development so it will likely take more than 5 years to complete. The first priority for the multi-use pathway is to extend the pathway in Milne Park up to Toogood pond and over to Bob Hunter Park (no longer going through Cornell). This portion is to be completed in the next 5 years. Update: Construction for phase 1 starts fall 2013. Completion by 2017

Bus Terminal - This terminal is planned for south of the Hospital near Russell Woods Drive. Update: Construction starts in fall 2016 with completion by end of 2017

Central Park - 35 Acre park will include baseball diamonds, soccer fields, gazebo, skate park, tennis courts, basketball courts, plaza, ice rink, water play area and parking. Construction has been budgeted for $7.8M Update: Completion by 2018

PRIVATE PROJECTS (HIGH-DENSITY)

All of these plans were approved a few years ago and since then the Cornell Precinct plan was developed which shows much higher heights along Hwy 7. These plans will need to be redone before they decide to build.

Macwood and Springhill Condos - 6-12 storey condos (1400 units) are planned North-West of Hwy 7 and Cornell Centre Blvd. They currently have sewage allocation for 289 units which they plan to use to build the first 300 unit condo building on the NW corner of Hwy 7 and Cornell Centre Blvd. Update: Delayed Indefinitely

Lindvest Condo and Retail - The first phase of 1,300 condo units, 50 live/work and commercial/retail/office buildings on the South side of Hwy 7 were approved 5+ years ago. Update: Delayed Indefinitely

Markham Wellness District - They are still working on the plans for this project. They are trying to encompass all of the land holders on the north side of Hwy 7 between 9th line and Bur Oak which will likely contain many high density buildings. They will need to update the Cornell Secondary plan first before they can bring specific projects forward. Update: Delayed indefinitely

Woodhaven Retirement Residence - Plans have been approved for this 5 storey building situated between the existing Woodhaven building and Bur Oak Ave. Update: Delayed Indefinitely
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2016, 10:16pm by SteveH » IP Logged
smokey78
Outstanding Villager

Re: Summary of Cornell Projects for 2010 and beyon
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2009, 12:42pm »

Thanks for the updates Steve.
IP Logged
SW20_MR2
Supreme Villager

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2009, 2:36pm »

Great news about the construction of DCP south of 407.  I can't stand 9th Line now that they make you go around Boxgrove.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22nd, 2009, 3:39pm »

I will be glad when the road projects are completed. It will be 3 years from start to finish for the 9th line widening, once it is completed in the spring.

The transportation and public projects are pretty much committed right now, so we should not see any further delays with these. Hopefully this will encourage the private projects to start moving forward in the next year or two.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2009, 3:40pm by SteveH » IP Logged
ty64
Supreme Villager

Chelsea FC - we ARE kings of europe !!!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 25th, 2009, 6:29pm »

Steve,
Merry Xmas to you and thanks for all the invaluable information you have provided to us in Cornell this year.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers TY
IP Logged
Shaun_C
Supreme Villager

« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2010, 10:15am »

Steve,

Thanks as usual for all the great updates on what's going on in the community.  Have you heard any word on what happened to the movie theatre that was rumoured to go up at Markham/Major Mack? I see a Metro supermarket is ready to open soon!

shaun
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2010, 11:14am »

on Jan 5th, 2010, 10:15am, Shaun_C wrote:
Steve,

Thanks as usual for all the great updates on what's going on in the community. Have you heard any word on what happened to the movie theatre that was rumoured to go up at Markham/Major Mack? I see a Metro supermarket is ready to open soon!

shaun

I haven't heard anything new about the theatre.
IP Logged
smokey78
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #7 on: Jan 5th, 2010, 12:38pm »

A Metro is opening up there soon??  

Hope this is true.
IP Logged
Shaun_C
Supreme Villager

« Reply #8 on: Jan 5th, 2010, 2:07pm »

on Jan 5th, 2010, 12:38pm, smokey78 wrote:
A Metro is opening up there soon??  

Hope this is true.

That's what I heard.  I thought the big building they were building just North of the Home Depot was the movie theatre.  But I've heard it's a Metro supermarket.. and when I drove by it, it does look like a supermarket. hehe  There's also a TD bank in the plaza

shaun
IP Logged
mbds
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

In Cornell, and.....loving it!

« Reply #9 on: Apr 7th, 2010, 4:23pm »

Noticed in the article on Ballantry Homes in last weekend's Star + on their website as well that a new Cornell phase is coming in Summer 2010.
Haven't seen anything similar on Mattamy's site yet.
Any word on the format of this phase, Steve H? I certainly hope it upholds the present rear lane concept of Cornell. Mattamy was pushing for a front load arrangement last time around....sure hope they've put that to bed or Cornell will lose it's uniqueness.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #10 on: Apr 7th, 2010, 5:32pm »

I haven't seen anything yet for Mattamy/Ballantry.
IP Logged
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #11 on: Apr 7th, 2010, 9:33pm »

I just saw it on their website also.. that it's coming Summer 2010. I am assuming it will be in CV but where would they build the new homes?
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #12 on: Apr 7th, 2010, 9:55pm »

Just to clarify that any Mattamy/Ballantry plan needs to be approved by Council first before they can sell anything.  They would need to get it approved between now and June in order to sell this summer.  We'll have to wait and see.
IP Logged
mom888
Supreme Villager

« Reply #13 on: Apr 10th, 2010, 6:44pm »

Well there is a Yellow Pages Listing for the Castlemore Address and phone number so it looks positive Smiley

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Markham/Metro-Supermarket/6508908. html

on Jan 5th, 2010, 2:07pm, Shaun_C wrote:

That's what I heard. I thought the big building they were building just North of the Home Depot was the movie theatre. But I've heard it's a Metro supermarket.. and when I drove by it, it does look like a supermarket. hehe There's also a TD bank in the plaza

shaun

IP Logged
Josie
Active Villager

« Reply #14 on: Apr 13th, 2010, 8:59am »

If you go to the Garden Homes Website, there is a link to Register for Cornell there as well.  It seems to be Original Cornell based on the logo used.

Does anyone know anything abou this?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »