Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 10:52am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Summary of Cornell Projects for 2013 and beyond
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Summary of Cornell Projects for 2013 and beyond  (Read 34599 times)
mbds
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

In Cornell, and.....loving it!

Re: Summary of Cornell Projects for 2010 and beyon
« Reply #45 on: Jan 21st, 2013, 12:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So let's see...we've lived here for over 15 years now, and still no local grocery store, restaurants, cafes or other shops & services beyond the plethora of nail salons & physio places.  
Delayed indefinitely!
Methinks I'll be in a retirement home or pushing up daisies before these developers complete the live-play-work-shop-within-walking-distance of the Cornell vision.
Discouraging.
IP Logged
bartimus
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #46 on: Jan 21st, 2013, 5:36pm »

Seriously.. I've only moved in last September and I'm alrady getting discouraged. There isn't even a bus route that goes from my area (Cornell Center/Riverlands) to markham GO Station. I definitely see the lack of close-by amenities to the Cornell area. If I was one of the original Cornellers I would be furious.. The community centre is nice but... where's my coffee shop within walking distance? Would be nice to have a starbucks or second cup nearby. Grocery store should have been here years ago..  

Wondering what they're waiting for? If I don't see progress in 2-3 years I'm out Embarassed
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2013, 5:36pm by bartimus » IP Logged
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #47 on: Jan 21st, 2013, 8:27pm »

on Jan 21st, 2013, 5:36pm, bartimus wrote:
There isn't even a bus route that goes from my area (Cornell Center/Riverlands) to markham GO Station

If you and others would like services to the GO station, send an email to Rick.Leary@york.ca, TransitInfo@york.ca and the regional Councillors advising them of your issues and the YRT changes you would like to see.  
Last August YRT came out with a plan to cut some of the 201 Shuttle service this FY, however based on all the emails from the riders expressing their concerns the YRT GM directed staff to continue proving uninterrupted service and monitor further this year.

If there is enough people requesting for services to expand to Cornell Rouge or Grand Cornell, it will happen. However you all have to email them about it.  
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2013, 8:39pm by amiyum » IP Logged
bartimus
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #48 on: Jan 22nd, 2013, 5:43pm »

Thanks amiyum. Good idea, I'll do that
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #49 on: Jan 22nd, 2013, 7:04pm »

Cornell Gates Secondary plan amendment has been deferred again to 2014. This is the fifth deferral and at this point I would say means absolutely nothing. It will just keep getting deferred until they are ready to build. I have updated the project list to reflect this.

http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/26xeeer2e7mqo5j6on3yyyyyd4zhvbf7u6nfag57 qf3thzkxudklp7y4kzbyd26qyv2ghjf5amx3xmvafyspknulzg/jan+9+PEDC.pdf
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2013, 7:04pm by SteveH » IP Logged
Adam_W
Supreme Villager

Cornell Resident since June 1998

« Reply #50 on: Jan 22nd, 2013, 7:05pm »

Almost 15 years ago, in Cornell's infancy, a few of us made depositions at a council meeting regarding plans to NOT have any busses run through Cornell Village as there was not enough density to warrant any busses.  
In my deposition I pointed out that there are busses along Church Street where there is 1 house every 200', in the same street frontage in Cornell Village there is 11 townhouses. Also reminded them of the idea of New Urbanism and its premise of less cars.  
That was pretty much the end of the argument from the Town Council and Markham Transit.  
From the citizens depositions buss routes were mapped through Cornell Village.  

The housing density in Cornell has been a very useful argument tool in other issues and committees I have been a part of.  

Remember when the laneways were tar and chipped? This was a cost cutting measure.  
It was suggested that I be a member of the residents committee who would speak to the town regarding the laneways: My argument to get the lanes repaved back to asphalt was that there is more voting power and more tax revenue in 200' in Cornell than in other areas.  
I suggested that if The Town wanted to save money to do it where tax revenues were less then they should tar and chip Church Street.  
Two weeks later our laneways were being re-surfaced to asphalt.  

Call or email Jack Heath, he answers his own phone when you call, and ask him about plans for busses in your areas. He can at least point you in the right direction, and if your argument is sound he has the ability to bring the issue up in a Council meeting.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2013, 9:21pm by Adam_W » IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #51 on: Jan 24th, 2013, 5:33am »

The new bridge at Reesor Road and 16th is completed.  16th Avenue is now open.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #52 on: Jan 24th, 2013, 4:29pm »

Move-in to new Hospital building planned for March.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1570124--markham-stouffville-hosp ital-readies-for-its-own-big-move
IP Logged
SW20_MR2
Supreme Villager

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #53 on: Jan 24th, 2013, 10:22pm »

Our baby is due right around the time the new wing is being opened, so we hope to be one of the first to check it out. Cheesy
IP Logged
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #54 on: Jan 24th, 2013, 11:17pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2013, 7:04pm, SteveH wrote:
Cornell Gates Secondary plan amendment has been deferred again to 2014. This is the fifth deferral and at this point I would say means absolutely nothing. It will just keep getting deferred until they are ready to build. I have updated the project list to reflect this.

http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/26xeeer2e7mqo5j6on3yyyyyd4zhvbf7u6nfag57 qf3thzkxudklp7y4kzbyd26qyv2ghjf5amx3xmvafyspknulzg/jan+9+PEDC.pdf

Appreciate the update on these Steve.  
Maybe some of the projects that completed some time now can be removed from the list.
IP Logged
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #55 on: Jan 24th, 2013, 11:46pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2013, 7:05pm, Adam_W wrote:

...along Church Street where there is 1 house every 200',.... My argument to get the lanes repaved back to asphalt was that there is more voting power and more tax revenue in 200' in Cornell than in other areas.  
I suggested that if The Town wanted to save money to do it where tax revenues were less then they should tar and chip Church Street.  

Great points. With Cornell density, all the development and tax revenue, i dont get it. Like you said we have more homes per km than other areas they weren't putting gravel. The community bus and a few others run empty all day and they aren't cutting those services.
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2013, 12:15am by amiyum » IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #56 on: Jan 24th, 2013, 11:57pm »

on Jan 24th, 2013, 11:17pm, amiyum wrote:

Appreciate the update on these Steve.  
Maybe some of the projects that completed some time now can be removed from the list.

I'll do a cleanup after the Hospital expansion opens.
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #57 on: Feb 4th, 2013, 4:37pm »

New expansion will open on March 10th.  New facility preview will occur on Sat. Feb. 16th from 2-4pm.

http://msh.on.ca/sites/default/files/Preview%20Open%20House_Poster.pdf
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #58 on: Feb 4th, 2013, 5:08pm »

With a date confirmed for the Hospital opening I have cleaned up the 1st post in this thread. As you can see only the Catholic elementary school project is planned for the next year with all other projects delayed. I don't expect any further updates on projects for a long time (likely many years).
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2013, 5:09pm by SteveH » IP Logged
Cinderella
Supreme Villager

Perspective is Everything

« Reply #59 on: Feb 5th, 2013, 10:22am »

Does anyone know what is planned for the open field across from the Yee Hong Centre - south side of White's Hill in between Bur Oak and Walkerville.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »