Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 10:53am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Arena Updates
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Arena Updates  (Read 21737 times)
Brenz
Active Villager

Re: Arena Press Release to Media - Q&A Wed Aug
« Reply #15 on: Aug 14th, 2012, 9:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A very good Letter To The Editor by Lorne McCool who use to be employeed HIGH UP for the Town of Markham. He has some very good concerns people...start realizing that something "hidden" or behind the scenes is going on...we need to have a say on this, like so many other very VALID issues going on around us!  

http://www.yorkregion.com/opinion/letters/article/1477714
IP Logged
Brenz
Active Villager

« Reply #16 on: Aug 14th, 2012, 9:56pm »

Been seeing a lot of info on this arena....here you all go:

A petition has been started, not against this arena but against the City to partake or finance it, it should be PRIVATELY funded and owened:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/nhl-arena.html

Markham Village Rate Payers page has information on this as well:
http://www.markhamvillagecity.com/

News Articles:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1218377--residents-express-anger -at-markham-arena-plans#.UBfJ-oPlLuE.facebook

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/08/04/third-and-long-in-the-tooth/#comment- 611126790

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1437724--why-are-the-facts-distor ted

BTW, Mr. McCool was Markham's CAO

Please do sign the petition if you feel the same way....not against this arena but AGAINST FUNDING THIS ARENA AND SHOULD BE PRIVATELY OWNED!
IP Logged
Rose
Outstanding Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #17 on: Aug 16th, 2012, 7:07pm »

on Aug 10th, 2012, 3:57pm, cplau wrote:
Actually traffics is my most concern.  

[b]Traffic is your biggest concern?[b]

Based on forecasted growth to 420,000 residents by 2031
If Markham's contribution to the Centre (162.5m) had to be 100% property tax funded, it would require five consecutive 2% property tax increases (for a total of 10% increase on the Town portion of the property taxes).  The property taxes generated by these increases over a 20 year period would allow Markham to service the debt.  A 10% increase equates to approximately $110/year for the average homeowner in Markham.

Town $1,220 (includes the first $110 increase)
Region $2, 170
Education $1,080
Total $4,470 (for year #1)

IP Logged
Rose
Outstanding Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: Aug 21st, 2012, 10:31am »

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1244262--markham-arena-partner-c asts-doubt-on-project-s-viability
Markham arena partner casts doubt on project’s viability
Published on Monday August 20, 2012
Tony Van Alphen and Noor Javed  
Staff Reporters  
The head of Canada’s biggest concert promotion company and a key player in the proposed $325-million arena in Markham has cast doubts on the project’s viability without a major sports tenant.

Riley O’Connor, chair of Live Nation Canada, told the Star on Monday that the arena will need an NHL franchise, other pro hockey or basketball team, because concerts won’t be able to generate enough revenue for a successful business.

“You really need a major tenant to make that happen,” he said. “In almost all major Canadian arenas, that’s an NHL team, an AHL team, a major junior hockey team. You can’t do it on concerts alone.”

Other industry insiders and some taxpayers have questioned continuing assertions from arena promoter Graeme Roustan, chair and chief executive officer of GTA Sports and Entertainment, that the Markham facility can work well without an NHL franchise.

But O’Connor’s comments mark the first time that someone in the arena group of consultants and advisers has raised doubts about the project’s viability without a major tenant.

“Look, I really support Graeme in his dream, but at some point you really have to look at the risks involved,” O’Connor said in an interview.

Philadelphia-based Global Spectrum, another partner in the project, has estimated the 20,000-seat Markham arena could attract 133 events annually. Roustan, a former rink operator in the U.S., has noted the arena doesn’t even need to reach that target to remain a strong business.

However O’Connor said big arenas around the country need about 200 event days a year to flourish, and the only way to reach that level is with a sports club that uses it for 40 or more dates a year. The Air Canada Centre in downtown Toronto attracts more than 200 event days a year, with the hockey Maple Leafs and basketball Raptors filling about half of the dates.

Furthermore, O’Connor said the owners must make a profit to pay off the debts to construct the arena.
IP Logged
Rose
Outstanding Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #19 on: Aug 21st, 2012, 10:33am »

ARTICLE Continued....

In April, Markham council voted overwhelmingly to support a financial plan for an NHL-sized arena near Warden Ave. and Highway 407 in a public-private partnership. Markham would borrow $325 million and half of it will be repaid by GTA Centre LP, the entity that will lease the arena.

The city, which would own the building, plans to generate funds for its half of the project through charges on future development. Council must still give final approval after negotiating key terms.

After hearing O’Connor’s comments, Roustan said Live Nation has provided the project proponents with design and concert expertise but doesn’t have knowledge about its financial viability.

“How can Riley say that?” said a surprised Roustan, who is also chairman of Bauer Performance Sports. “He won’t be operating the building. He doesn’t know the costs. That’s what Global Spectrum is doing for us.”

Frank Russo, Global Spectrum’s senior vice president for business development and client relations, said his firm provided the estimate of event days and described it as a “conservative realistic number” for financial projections.

“We certainly feel the arena can be viable with 130-plus nights of activity, including some form of hockey — whether it’s NHL or not remains to be seen,” Russo said.

He said Global Spectrum based its projection on the region’s population and demand for event space in the Toronto.

Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti said the city has always said it would take a combination of sporting and cultural events to make the arena viable.

“I have to believe Live Nation when they tell me there is pent-up demand within the GTA for Sports and Entertainment,” Scarpitti said. “They are in the business. When they tell us, on a conservative basis, that they will have over 100 events there at that facility — that’s something happening there every third night and to me, that’s something that is viable.”

Scarpitti said he thinks the arena with or without a tenant will be a catalyst to shape downtown Markham and attract future investment.

“We have gone through this with Live Nation; we have gone through this with the private sector, and I don’t think the private sector would be putting in $162.5 million if they didn’t feel it was going to work with any kind of major sports franchise in there,” Scarpitti said.

Regional Councillor Jim Jones, who has been a critic of the public-private nature of the deal, says he isn’t sure what numbers to believe any more.

“A lot of people are basing their decisions on what Graeme is telling them,” said Jones. “But it’s still not clear to me if, based on those numbers alone, the arena can work.”

In earlier public presentations, GTA Sports and Markham touted Global Spectrum and Live Nation as part of a “world class partnership” and “key players.”

But Russo added that Global Spectrum is not a partner with GTA Sports and will be a “fee-based contractor” responsible for managing the arena, booking events and working with, but not limited to, promoters such as Live Nation.

“Part of our role at this stage is to get the project to the point of financial close,” Russo said.

O’Connor also said there is no formal agreement with Live Nation and there have been no talks since April.

But O’Connor said he has no problem with GTA Sports describing Live Nation as a “partner” as long as it’s not in a “derogatory manner.”

IP Logged
Rose
Outstanding Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #20 on: Aug 21st, 2012, 10:36am »

Comments from above Article
galaxygroove
porkbarreling under the table
viability of project in question? if it is built, it will simply line the pockets of the developers and leave the tax payers holding the bag. sounds like the skydome part 2.
Aug 21, 2012 6:26 AM Agree (0) Disagree (0)

rocky racooon
THIS HAS FAILURE
written all over it. It will be a disaster that Markham tax payers will foot the bill for
Aug 21, 2012 12:55 AM Agree (0) Disagree (0)

Osckar1
Markham Arena
Will have a tough go at it to pay the bills if it is built. There is no way that an NHL team is going to locate there and the Marlies have a hard filling up the Coliseum so forget about an AHL team as well. Maybe they could put in an OHL and/or an OHA team help if the arena ever gets built.
Aug 20, 2012 11:01 PM Agree (0) Disagree (0)

msalvag
Scarpitti
Scarpitti's a tool and needs to go, now!
Aug 20, 2012 10:21 PM Agree (0) Disagree (0)

CLE_ROX
White Elephant
It’s preposterous to claim that this 20,000 seat arena doesn’t need a sports tenant in order to be profitable. LA has one arena that hosts THREE pro teams: Lakers, Clippers, and Kings, yet Toronto needs two arenas ?  

What makes GTA Sports think that artists would be more attracted to its facility than the ACC? The lessons of Glendale, AZ apparently were missed by the leaders of Markham.
IP Logged
Wooby
New Villager

« Reply #21 on: Aug 21st, 2012, 3:25pm »

All the financial projections sound like wishful thinking to me. You build a 20,000 seat arena to stand empty for 2/3 of the year and it is supposed to break even?

Forget the NHL. As long as Gary Bettman is Commissioner (propped up by Jeremy Jacobs (Boston) and Ed Snider (Philly)), the GTA is not getting a second team.  

Only way the arena can be feasible is if there is already an OHL team being targeted. Maybe Brampton? They have been struggling at drawing fans and it seems strange to have teams in both Brampton and Mississauga. Anyone heard/read anything about the possibility of an OHL franchise moving into Markham to be the anchor tenant?
IP Logged
cplau
Active Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Aug 21st, 2012, 4:44pm »

and honestly, Markham has around 1/3 of Asian, 1/3 of South Asian.  How many of them are huge Hockey Fans?  Even if we are able to bring in a NHL team, I bet there will be a lot of empty seat.
IP Logged
TBJV
Active Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Arena Updates
« Reply #23 on: Oct 5th, 2012, 11:56pm »

Interesting article in the Star today.
http://read.thestar.com/#!/article/506f98697b1eac474f003f86

I have some issues with the process and it appears that Scarpitti and his crew are making decisions that will affect thousands without going through the proper channels. In saying that, I hope the project is a success.

As far as the previous comment on the 1/3 Asian 1/3 South Asian population, if you look at the crowds at the ACC for both Leafs and especially Raptors games, you will see a large percentage of visible minorities. In addition, an NHL team in Markham would not only be supported by all of York Region (not just Markham) but also Toronto as many people living in midtown north would rather head to Markham than make the trek to the ACC for a weekday game. So your comment on empty seats is unrealistic. Now if the team doesn't make the playoffs for 8 years like some other team we know, then crowds may lose interest.....
IP Logged
SW20_MR2
Supreme Villager

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #24 on: Oct 6th, 2012, 8:28am »

Regardless of who attends Leafs/Raptors games, you are making an assumption that Markham will get an NHL team.  This will NOT happen.  In addition to Gary Bettman not even considering adding another club, any new team would need to be approved by the Leafs since it's within their territory.

Also, Toronto calls itself a sports town, but it's not.  People are only interested in the 3 big league teams: Leafs, Raptors, Jays.  I suppose you could group TFC into that group to some degree.  Since we will not get any more teams in these leagues, there will be no other tenant in this new arena.  They can talk all they want about bringing a team there, but it's not gonna happen.  I read in the Economist that they're going to try and get a minor league basketball team. Roll Eyes Almost no one cares about any teams other than the main ones, including junior hockey, minor league hockey, Argos, Rock, etc.

This arena is and will always be a stupid idea.  Council spends so much time in trying to make Markham a big city, they are ignoring real problems (eg. improving the traffic disaster that plagues this city).

on Oct 5th, 2012, 11:56pm, TBJV wrote:

As far as the previous comment on the 1/3 Asian 1/3 South Asian population, if you look at the crowds at the ACC for both Leafs and especially Raptors games, you will see a large percentage of visible minorities. In addition, an NHL team in Markham would not only be supported by all of York Region (not just Markham) but also Toronto as many people living in midtown north would rather head to Markham than make the trek to the ACC for a weekday game. So your comment on empty seats is unrealistic. Now if the team doesn't make the playoffs for 8 years like some other team we know, then crowds may lose interest.....

IP Logged
TBJV
Active Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #25 on: Oct 6th, 2012, 9:45am »

You need to read as I did not assume that the NHL was coming to Markham. I was responding to cplau's comment that because Markham is 2/3 Asian (Southeast or otherwise) it would not support an NHL team. However after another lockout and likely 21 out of 30 teams in the NHL losing money, the chance of an NHL team in the GTA is more of a reality than it was before. If they can go to Winnipeg, the GTA is not out of the question.  
I agree with you that an arena should not be high on the mayors priority list. I drive across Hwy 7 everyday so you don't have to tell me about the City's bigger problems....
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #26 on: Nov 1st, 2012, 5:06pm »

Deputy Mayor Jack Heath issues a statement today that he will not be supporting the financial framework for the arena.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1528673--markham-s-deputy-mayor-w on-t-support-arena-financial-plan
IP Logged
patpat
Active Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jan 30th, 2013, 12:01am »

Anybody knows what's the result of the votes tonight?
IP Logged
slm1979
New Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #28 on: Jan 30th, 2013, 12:52pm »

Passed by a vote of 7 - 6.....
IP Logged
Rose
Outstanding Villager

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #29 on: Mar 13th, 2013, 1:16pm »

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/09/if-you-build-it-they -might-not-come-the-risky-economics-of-sports-stadiums/260900/

After you read the article ---- read the comments
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »