Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 20th, 2017, 4:29am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Meeting to preview development plans at Bur Oak/7
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Meeting to preview development plans at Bur Oak/7  (Read 13174 times)
TheDanielsTeam
Outstanding Villager

More than just your neighbours in Cornell

WWW Email

Meeting to preview development plans at Bur Oak/7
« on: May 9th, 2013, 10:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Curious about the upcoming development in Cornell? Lindvest will be making a presentation to residents on Wednesday May 15th at 7pm in the Cornell Community Centre. They will be unveiling plans for the land to the East of Grand Cornell (on the South side of hwy 7 – Bur Oak East to Ressor Rd) and are looking for resident feedback/support. I’ve had the opportunity to preview the plans and I think everyone will be very excited! Hope to see you there.
IP Logged

The Daniels Team
Real Estate and Mortgages
(416) 888-5272
www.thedanielsteam.ca
bartimus
Outstanding Villager

Re: Meeting to preview development plans at Bur Oa
« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2013, 1:25pm »

Finally! I was looking forward to finally finding out what the plans are for that plot of land Smiley

I'll be there

PS: Thanks for the heads up!
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2013, 1:28pm by bartimus » IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #2 on: May 9th, 2013, 3:00pm »

They already had plans approved 5 years ago for this land.  I guess they have decided to do a different design.  

The key is when they will start digging, otherwise these designs don't mean much as Lindvest could present another redesign in 5 years time again.

Here is the original schematics from 2007.

http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2007/Development%20 Services/pl070626/lindvest%20maps.PDF
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2013, 3:14pm by SteveH » IP Logged
TheDanielsTeam
Outstanding Villager

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 9th, 2013, 7:32pm »

on May 9th, 2013, 3:00pm, SteveH wrote:
They already had plans approved 5 years ago for this land.  I guess they have decided to do a different design.  

The key is when they will start digging, otherwise these designs don't mean much as Lindvest could present another redesign in 5 years time again.

Here is the original schematics from 2007.

http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2007/Development%20 Services/pl070626/lindvest%20maps.PDF

Yes, they are looking to change the plans which is why they're looking for resident support...I will leave it to Lindvest to make the presentation but from what I previewed I think residents will be on board...it's more residential (not as much high density) with anchor commercial including a grocery store with a scheduled opening in 2015. I personally can't wait to be able to walk to amenities other than a Shoppers Drug Mart!  
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2013, 7:33pm by TheDanielsTeam » IP Logged

The Daniels Team
(416) 888-5272
www.thedanielsteam.ca
amiyum
Supreme Villager

« Reply #4 on: May 9th, 2013, 11:53pm »

It's great news to hear, hopefully construction will start soon.

This was an interesting letter from Lindvest Lawyers to Markham City in Feb

http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2013/Development%2 0Services/pl130205/Letter%20Cornell%20Centre%20Precinct%20Plan.PDF
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2013, 11:55pm by amiyum » IP Logged
bartimus
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #5 on: May 13th, 2013, 3:21pm »

on May 9th, 2013, 7:32pm, TheDanielsTeam wrote:
I personally can't wait to be able to walk to amenities other than a Shoppers Drug Mart!  

I couldn't agree more  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
TheDanielsTeam
Outstanding Villager

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 15th, 2013, 10:27am »

Really hoping to see some people out tonight for this meeting - just to reiterate the developer needs resident support in order to change the official plans - they are wanting to reduce high density and include more residential including anchor commercial (grocery, lcbo, banks, etc) if you support this (or even if you don't) this is your opportunity to be informed Smiley
IP Logged

The Daniels Team
(416) 888-5272
www.thedanielsteam.ca
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #7 on: May 15th, 2013, 2:19pm »

on May 15th, 2013, 10:27am, TheDanielsTeam wrote:
Really hoping to see some people out tonight for this meeting - just to reiterate the developer needs resident support in order to change the official plans - they are wanting to reduce high density and include more residential including anchor commercial (grocery, lcbo, banks, etc) if you support this (or even if you don't) this is your opportunity to be informed Smiley

Are you sure it is less density than previously proposed.  It looks like the overall density is increasing according to the link amyum provided.  

"The Updated Concept Plan provides a higher density and mix of residential and employment uses within Cornell Centre."

My first impression is that they are proposing lower density nearer to existing neighbourhoods but much higher density elsewhere.  Higher Density is not necessarily bad but we should not get too optimistic and excited over a polished presentation by the builders.  We will need to see a comparison with what was originally proposed and the overall impact on our community.  

This reminds me of when Mattamy wanted to build homes with garages out front (again not necessarily bad if done right).  The presentations looked nice but after looking in more detail it was just a smoke screen and most residents pushed against it.  With Mattamy's failed plan, Madision also cancelled their proposal for front garages.  We need to be very careful.  Reopening the Master Plan for Lindvest would also encourage other developers to do the same.  

Remember that the infrastructure in Cornell was designed around the current plan that supports a specific population.  And contrary to what the developers might say, any increase in density will have a long term impact in areas such as sewage, roads, schools, etc that were not planned for.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2013, 2:31pm by SteveH » IP Logged
TheDanielsTeam
Outstanding Villager

WWW Email

Summary of Proposed Development In Cornell
« Reply #8 on: May 16th, 2013, 9:54pm »

Here is an update and a photo that Lindvest allowed me to take - Steve H - I am not sure if you were there or not but I specifically asked the developer about the quote that you posted and they stated that no additional units were proposed to be added - the density in the letter likely referred the employment lands that they would like to decrease in size (area) but keep the same # of jobs.  

As promised here is the update to last night's presentation from Lindvest regarding the land on the South side of 7 to the East of Grand Cornell:  

Lindvest stated that under their new proposed plan no additional units were being added  

They are proposing to relocate the block of high rise to the East of the Woodlot (under the current plan the high rise is planned for West of the extended Bur Oak and would basically butt up against the clock tower park and be very visible to all Grand Cornell residents) they are proposing low density residential for this block now (mix of towns, semi, and singles) which they feel is a better flow and transition from existing residential (on the attached picture it's the yellow area on the far left above the school zone)

They are proposing to shrink the total area designated for employment lands (but not the # of jobs - they will  achieve this by going up - office buildings) and change the type of employment to be located along Donald Cousens. The current plan allows for manufacturing and industrial type buildings and jobs and their proposal is for high end professional offices. (on the picture it's the dark blue to the right)

They are very close to finalizing the initial key leases in the commercial space (in the picture the lighter blue at the top) which will include a grocery store (scheduled opening Fall 2015), an LCBO, several banks as anchor tenants - then the rest (including restaurants etc. will come)
IP Logged

The Daniels Team
(416) 888-5272
www.thedanielsteam.ca
TheDanielsTeam
Outstanding Villager

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: May 16th, 2013, 9:58pm »

I am unsure how to post the photo of the new concept plan...sorry...that makes my above post a tad confusing - happy to email it to anyone or if you know how I can post it please let me know and I will do so!
IP Logged

The Daniels Team
(416) 888-5272
www.thedanielsteam.ca
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #10 on: May 16th, 2013, 10:56pm »

I was there last night.  I believe I was right behind you as we talked briefly about the grocery store near the end.  You are correct that the overall residential population is not changing, just a redistribution.  While the employment area is decreasing in size and increasing in density, they did mention that the employment number would actually increase from 2800 to 4200, which is a good thing.

I don't have any major issues with the plan changes except for the commercial area which is not much different than any other big box plaza.  It wasn't a total surprise as I saw these drawings last year.  But still a big downgrade from what was originally approved 5 years ago.

Here's a summary of what was originally approved.  The Main street extended from Bur Oak to Cornell Park Ave and would have been pedestrian only with stores lining the street.

http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2007/Development%20 Services/pl070626/Lindvest%20Final%20Report.htm

·        A 12 storey, 150 unit apartment building at the southeast corner of Highway 7 and Bur Oak Avenue
·        Future residential development blocks along the remaining frontage of Highway 7
·        A two-lane east-west private ‘main street’ at the south limit of the site, extending the entire length of the site
·        50 three storey townhouse live/work units fronting the ‘main street’
·        8 commercial buildings fronting the north side of the ‘main street’, ranging in size from 228m2 to 465m2 , equivalent in height to 2 storeys
·        Two single-storey larger commercial buildings in the interior of the site (4,184m2 and 6,000m2)
·        Two additional single-storey retail buildings (1,583m2 and 465m2) along a north-south private road/driveway, which bisects the site and terminates at the ‘main street’
·        An urban square at the intersection of the ‘main street’ and the north-south driveway.

See Figure 5
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2013, 10:58pm by SteveH » IP Logged
TheDanielsTeam
Outstanding Villager

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: May 16th, 2013, 11:17pm »

Awesome Steve - thanks for posting the extra info. There was quite a discussion at the very end of the night regarding the overall look and feel of the commercial plaza and would it fit/match with what is Cornell - some suggestions were made by several residents and the builder reminded everyone that nothing is final - maybe we can form a bit of a committee and try to work with the developer through the process to ensure maximum resident input (which I think they want and welcome)...
IP Logged

The Daniels Team
(416) 888-5272
www.thedanielsteam.ca
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #12 on: May 17th, 2013, 6:06pm »

The Town is against the changes from Lindvest.  Linvest is actually one of 10 developers trying to redesignate employment lands to residential.

Here is the detailed report.

http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2013/Development%2 0Services/pl130521/Employment%20Report.PDF

And here is a summary response to Linvest's request.  I can see some concern related to item C below.

http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2013/Development%2 0Services/pl130521/Appendix%20B%20Employment.pdf

a) Need has not been demonstrated – additional residential lands are not needed in Cornell to achieve Markham’s
residential intensification targets; the current Secondary Plan designations provide for higher density residential
development to support planned rapid transit along Hwy 7; however, Markham does need all of the lands currently
available to achieve the 2031 employment forecasts, and to ensure a range of employment uses are available to 2031, not
just major office

b) It has not been demonstrated that the employment forecasts can be met – the applicant’s estimated 1,000 additional jobs
is proposed to be achieved through major office development; the current Business Park designations already provide for
high intensity office development, particularly along Hwy 7, in addition to lower intensity employment uses; it has not
been demonstrated how the reduced Business Park lands will achieve an even higher density than that provided for in the
current Secondary Plan; in addition the proposal assumes the lost ELE jobs will be accommodated elsewhere in the City,
however some of these other locations are also under application for conversion

c) The redesignation of the employment lands will reduce the competitiveness of the remaining employment lands because
of the increased distance from the VIVA transit station and the shallower building lots; if the demand for office does not
materialize to the extent proposed by the applicant, the lands may not be suitable for other employment uses, leading to
future pressure to take them out of the employment lands supply; lands for ELE (industrial) development are already
under pressure in Markham; the proposal represents further incremental erosion of the employment land supply, similar
to what has been experienced in Box Grove

d) Existing or planned infrastructure capacity is assumed to be available; to be confirmed through future development
approvals

e) The lands are required as employment lands in the long term to ensure a variety of employment uses in Cornell Centre in
order to achieve the complete (live-work) community anticipated in the Secondary Plan; although the proposal indicates
more jobs on less land, it would be prudent to monitor the types of employment that are developed in this area before
removing 14 ha from the employment land supply; Markham should be retaining office employment lands along the Hwy
7 transit corridor within the Cornell Centre key development area; as well as along Donald Cousens Parkway, the area
identified as Strategic Employment Lands in the ROP
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2013, 6:08pm by SteveH » IP Logged
Shaun_C
Supreme Villager

« Reply #13 on: May 17th, 2013, 9:40pm »

Thanks so much for the updates guys.  REALLY REALLY appreciate the material since we're not always able to attend the meetings!

shaun
IP Logged
Goldie
Active Villager

If U love life, life will love U back

« Reply #14 on: May 22nd, 2013, 6:05pm »

Just Curious
The apartment building would be condo or rental units?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »