Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 10:49am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Town is reopening Cornell Secondary Plan
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Town is reopening Cornell Secondary Plan  (Read 2567 times)
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

Town is reopening Cornell Secondary Plan
« on: Jun 13th, 2014, 11:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This should come as no surprise. Angry

http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2014/Development%2 0Services/pl140617/cornell%20centre%20report.pdf

All Cornell developers will use this opportunity to push their proposals through. Unfortunately the developers are only interested in making the most money as quickly as possible by developing their lands. They are not interested in how it will impact the overall plan for Cornell. This is how we end up with bedroom communities with big box stores and not much else.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2014, 11:17pm by SteveH » IP Logged
mbds
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

In Cornell, and.....loving it!

Re: Town is reopening Cornell Secondary Plan
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16th, 2014, 11:14am »

I'm with you as well. Won't be voting for anyone in the upcoming municipal election who supports straying from the Cornell vision.
IP Logged
Ian_Wayne
Supreme Villager

« Reply #2 on: Jun 16th, 2014, 2:38pm »

Is a lane way garage the best option?
Seems to me I see few people using their front doors, even see many homes with old yellowing newspapers sitting on the porch.

Everyone just leaves by the back door where you are separated from seeing your neighbours by fences.

The cost of clearing roads is doubled for the city as they not only have to clear the street they also have to do the lane ways.

I understand the "concept" that the community was built on but it doesn't seem to match the reality.
IP Logged
Adam_W
Supreme Villager

Cornell Resident since June 1998

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16th, 2014, 4:36pm »

This has been tried before.  Pretty sure it was both Mattamy and Lindvest who asked to go to the garage in front option.  The City turned both down.
It would seem that the meeting schedule for tomorrow night is only to set up a public meeting, but I may be wrong.  I notice that there is no file number or back up information available for now, this will probably change after this City meeting.

For me the issue is the departure from what this area was intended to be, higher density residential with a Business park area along Hwy 7.  
The builder is looking to maximize profits, hopefully the City will again turn this application down, and enforce the secondary plan that was only just completed in the end of 2013.
IP Logged
abc123
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #4 on: Jun 18th, 2014, 9:30am »

Couldn't agree more, Ian _wayne.  I think the laneways make the community less social.  We are leaving Cornell next month and moving to a more traditional community with garages in front.  We have been through our new neighbourhood several times, and people are always out in front of their homes, talking and socializing, kids are playing, etc.  Not so much in Cornell!
IP Logged
Adam_W
Supreme Villager

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18th, 2014, 10:34am »

Part of the socialization problem you mention may be because most people put up 6' fences in their yards.  
Makes talking to your neighbor like talking to Wilson from the old Home Improvement show.
We put up a high fence close to the house for privacy, but the main 40' of fence is only 4.5' tall.  We have great conversations with our neighbours over the fence, also have great sight lines as we are not looking down a bowling alley townhouse rear yard.
And I can attest that the kids play in the laneways a lot, you may remember when the City Tar and Chipped selected laneways in Cornell Village.  As I was on the laneway resurfacing committee to fix the idiot idea.  Our main push to return them to asphalt was that the kids had stopped playing in the rear laneways.  The City conceded that they had no idea that the Tar and Chip would stop all laneway activities other than for car traffic and repaved all effected laneways.
IP Logged
CornellMarkham_KCB
Outstanding Villager

Community Awareness, Pride and Action (CAPA)

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 4th, 2015, 7:20am »

The city planning department has been updating the secondary plan, upcoming key dates on our FB page.

IP Logged

www.keepcornellbeautiful.ca
www.twitter.com/CornellMarkham
www.facebook.com/KeepCornellBeautiful
www.instagram.com/cornellmarkham_kcb
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12th, 2015, 6:30pm »

Here are the draft of the changes.

http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2015/Development%2 0Services/pl150217/Cornell%20Centre%20Secondary%20Plan%20Report.pdf
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17th, 2015, 9:59pm »

It looks like Mattamy is trying to remove ground floor commercial for the frontages along Bur Oak, south of Church Street. They are also proposing lower density south of Church Street than what was in the Cornell plans. The proposals keep getting watered down further with other developers to follow.

http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2015/Development%2 0Services/pl150324/wykland%20report.pdf

The map on the 2nd last page also shows they won't be extending Cornell Centre Blvd with this proposal.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2015, 10:00pm by SteveH » IP Logged
Cheetos85
Active Villager

« Reply #9 on: Apr 7th, 2015, 10:39am »

Will anyone be going to the meeting on April 21st to voice their concerns? The storefronts along Bur Oak south of Church sound great and would be within walking distance for me. I would hate to have to get in my car for everything like I do now...
IP Logged
SteveH
Registered Village Donor
Supreme Villager

Open House for Secondary Plan
« Reply #10 on: Apr 13th, 2015, 12:24pm »

The Town is doing an Open House for the Cornell Secondary Plan on April 16th.

http://www2.markham.ca/HTMLEmail/images/20150401_Cornell-Centre-Update.j pg
IP Logged
Adam_W
Supreme Villager

« Reply #11 on: Apr 13th, 2015, 1:01pm »

Think I might take a wonder down on the 16th to check out the new vision (re-vision) of what the builders and the City deem best for the South end of Cornell.
Amiyum, I am not sure that I agree with you in your assumption that people have 'given up' on fighting the changes to our community plan.  Just think that as areas get completed there is less interest from people in Cornell Rouge as to the changes in Cornell Grand (for example).  
In the early days most of the changes were around the village area, and could be seen to effect that area directly.  This would bring the residents out in force to add to the discussion.
The amendments to this south area of Cornell will effect many factors if done incorrectly, I believe we may still see a strong showing of all Cornell residents if the proposed changes are seen as being detrimental to the community as a whole.
At least I hope that is the case.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »