Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 21st, 2017, 12:37am
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members MembersIRC IRC Login Login Register Register
   Cornell Bulletin Board and Forum
   Cornell Community Discussions
   New Urbanism Discussions
(Moderators: Admin, ahmike, Rich_and_Val)
   Anyone know what's happening at Country Glen Pond?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anyone know what's happening at Country Glen Pond?  (Read 610 times)
indigo
Outstanding Villager

Anyone know what's happening at Country Glen Pond?
« on: Oct 2nd, 2015, 10:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Huh I've seen 2 big cranes and a big tractor dumped off right in the bushes and trees at Glen Pond (Reservoir).

Last check last night there were trees missing and a bunch of dirt spread out in this area that used to be bushes, grass and trees.

The path entrance into the park is closed with a huge pile of dirt blocking the way and the sidewalk has been broken and torn up.

Anyone know what's happening?

I searched this forum but can't find anything on this.

I called the city to ask and they opened a work order but no word back in days.

I also see lots of construction pylons and equipment on the East side of the Country Glen pond and reservoir - with a paving company name on them.  

They also removed the only garbage can in the area which is a concern since people dump garbage often and there should be more receptacles, not less.
IP Logged
fayya
New Villager

Re: Anyone know what's happening at Country Glen P
« Reply #1 on: Oct 5th, 2015, 10:59am »

have no idea of it, they drained the pond and is now digging...i hope they are not building more houses on top of that.
IP Logged
indigo
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #2 on: Oct 5th, 2015, 7:11pm »

Thanks for replying and for the update. Please continue to share updates if you can.

I talked to the city today (as they finally called me back on my open work orders) - They confirm that the construction on the east side of the reservoir is so that they can dredge the water to remove the silt.

They say this is common for storm drain ponds like this and has to be done on a regular basis.

They explained the driveway that is being built is because the dredging equipment is too huge to use the small paved pathway so they have to create a new one to gain access.

They say it is not the city doing it, it is engineering.

They say that once the work is done they will be returning it back to some semblance of what it was Undecided but that it can't go back to being the same as before.

I am relieved to hear this is temporary and that they are not going to be building in this area! Smiley

I hope they do as little disruption to the wildlife there and they create a beautiful view when they are done, so overall in the long run, it will be an improvement.

I also hope they may even create a space that a park bench or two could be placed at so people can sit and enjoy the view.

It was the Parks dept I called so if you want to voice your concerns on this or ask questions you can reach them at the following (from the city website):

"We make Markham beautiful. We care for parks, natural areas and streetscapes. We promote an active and healthy quality of life by maintaining our parks and public green spaces, encouraging public access and fostering respect and appreciation of our natural environment. We work with and listen to our community and encourage public participation."

Email:  customerservice@markham.ca

Address:  101 Town Centre Blvd. Markham, ON L3R 9W3

Phone:  905-415-7535
IP Logged
indigo
Outstanding Villager

« Reply #3 on: Oct 5th, 2015, 7:24pm »

The response regarding the removal of the one garbage can from the SW corner is that people were using it for household waste dumping. Sad

They said this happens on a regular basis Angry so when it does, they remove the garbage receptacle for a few weeks or a month and then eventually return it, hoping to discourage people from this practice.

I told him I am concerned with this being used as a solution because people dump garbage in the area all the time, whether there is a refuse container or not.

The reservoir and the garbage receptacle are not for dumping!

If every person dumped garbage like this our planet would become inhabitable - There is no plan(et) B.  

Please think of your children and your children's children and don't dump garbage.

We all get regular garbage pick up every two weeks with unlimited number of bags when you use clear plastic garbage bags as the main bag.

We also get recycling (blue bin) and composting (green bin) pick up weekly and if you utilize these two services, as I do, I bet you will find you barely have any garbage.

So I highly encourage people to use the blue bins and green bins - we are fortunate to have this service as people in the city of Toronto don't get the option of composting.

If you are worried about raccoons getting into your green bin, you can use a bungee cord and spray the handle and lid with natural chili pepper spray (you can buy at the hardware store) and/or peppermint or mint spray (made with essential oil and water or rubbing alcohol).

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2015, 7:24pm by indigo » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »